• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question of legality

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

J-roc

New YorkWhat is the name of your state?y

I was picking up an aquaintance in a bad part of town. unaware to me, it happened to be a known heroin dealers house. a policeman stopped me for obstruction of view for this tiny little thing hanging off my rearview mirror. (this information was not disclosed to me until everything was all over) after asking for my liscence when he approached the car he ordered everyone out and we were all placed in cuffs. he and his partner then proceeded to search the car without my consent. when questioned why, he responded that his probable cause was the mere fact that i was leaving this particular house. i question the legality of this situation. just because u are leaving a hot spot, is that probable cause or reasonable suspicion to search the car without a warrant or my consent???

You Are Guilty

Even if it wasn't (you did not give enough details to determine whether it was), unless he found something, what do you want to happen? There's no evidence to suppress, so other than dismissing the obstructed view ticket (which I agree, is BS, but you can fight it if whatever was hanging truly is small), what would you like to see happen?

B

blameshifting

You Are Guilty said:
Even if it wasn't (you did not give enough details to determine whether it was), unless he found something, what do you want to happen? There's no evidence to suppress, so other than dismissing the obstructed view ticket (which I agree, is BS, but you can fight it if whatever was hanging truly is small), what would you like to see happen?
He would like to not be hassled by the cops when picking up and dropping off people at crack houses and the homes of heroin dealers.

J

J-roc

J-roc said:

I was picking up an aquaintance in a bad part of town. unaware to me, it happened to be a known heroin dealers house. a policeman stopped me for obstruction of view for this tiny little thing hanging off my rearview mirror. (this information was not disclosed to me until everything was all over) after asking for my liscence when he approached the car he ordered everyone out and we were all placed in cuffs. he and his partner then proceeded to search the car without my consent when there was nothing in plain sight that would give him indication i had something on me. he did find posession of a controlled substance, but not what he was looking for. when questioned why he was searching in the first place he responded that his probable cause was the mere fact that i was leaving this particular house. i question the legality of this situation. just because u are leaving a hot spot, is that probable cause or reasonable suspicion to search the car without a warrant or my consent???

You Are Guilty

blameshifting said:
He would like to not be hassled by the cops when picking up and dropping off people at crack houses and the homes of heroin dealers.

Oh! Why didn't he say so in the first place? In that case, the proper thing to do is just to tell the cops to go F--- themselves, preferrably while grabbing your sac to illustrate your point. Personally, I'd also grab the garbage from under my seat real quickly and throw it at the cop who was harassing me.

Hope that helps - usually, you only have to do it one time before you stop getting hassled. Good luck.

A

adesire2Bhappy

J-roc said:

after asking for my liscence

my response: asking for your what? Man what the hell were you "smoking" or "shooting" before you posted this? learn to spell idiot... :D

PS: just to let you know the word you are trying to spell goes something like this....."LICENSE"

J

J-roc

Dude, get a life and maybe you would have something better to do than correct peoples spelling mistakes all day. By the way, did i spell this right? F--- YOU

A

adesire2Bhappy

J-roc said:
Dude, get a life and maybe you would have something better to do than correct peoples spelling mistakes all day. By the way, did i spell this right? F--- YOU
first of all dude i am not a DUDE and in your state of mind that is the only word you can spell right.....

My response to this::::F--- YOU "YOU WOULD FALL IN LOVE AND I WOULD FALL ASLEEP" in your dreams baby :D

BelizeBreeze

just because u are leaving a hot spot, is that probable cause or reasonable suspicion to search the car without a warrant or my consent???
Leaving the childish gamesmanship (or woman, you choose), the simple answer is yes, it's called a traffic stop. And ever hear of Loitering to procure?

There was ample reason to stop you. The search I don't know because we don't, and probably never will have, all the facts required to reach an informed opinion.

So, the simple response is, if you feel it was unwarranted, hire an attorney.

Now that was easy wot?

J

J-roc

only reason i was asking because the info i looked up said that just being in that area is not sufficient, but it did not specify if u were at a specific location. i thought that they would, but then my attorney said there might be some legal issues that we can fight.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">