• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support payment for 2 kids

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

My ex and I divorced in N CA in 92. I got physical custody of 2 girls,now aged 17 & 14. I moved to NV 4 3 yrs & daughter visited Dad in VA in 12/99 decided to live there. Couldn't make them come back.em go. Anyway, since Dec 99, I have been sending him $250 to help out for their expenses...no court order.Plus money here and there for the girls. In May 00, had to quit my salary job for terrible personal reason and I have yet found a job who will pay me the same. I just started a job who will pay me a draw with commission (started Sept 1). I am having such financial difficulty right now and I am behind in every bills that I have. My ex has been harrassing me over the phone about the $250 and I told him I can't send any right now bec I simply don't have it. I have yet send $250 for Sept. He just now called me and said that the court in Virginia will be sending me court order to pay him child support. Who has jurisdiction on the amount & how will they calculate. My income has dropped 50% from last year. What state determines what? I need help..I want to help him but I just can't right now. What can I do?

LegalBeagle

Does he have both children ? He firsts needs to petition the VA courts for custody of the children since the court says you do. Also, if he gets nasty, file a petition for back CS, does not matter where the children are, he still owes you his court ordered CS from the day he stopped paying until the new CS takes effect. You will only be legally ordered to pay from the date of filing.

So, until you are ordered you do not have to pay anything and he owes you CS from 12/99 until a court changes it.

------------------
Psst.. I am not an attorney, and even if I was, I would not tell you. What I am giving you is not legal advice in anyway. For proper legal advice, retain a person who openly admits they are an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">