• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

City to Relocate Driveway

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Neighbor Jim

City Proposes to Relocate Integral Driveway on Commercial Lot

What is the name of your state? Sacramento, California

Greetings,
The city proposes to relocate one of our driveways on our Highway Commercial corner lot as part of a street resurfacing project. They are seeking our (property owner's) permission to close the existing opening and relocate the current gate 140' away onto a much narrower street. Our concern is that one tenant who services oversized equipment (graders, tractors, diesel trucks, etc) will face a hardship: he will not be able to drive such equipment through the new proposed arrangement. City has not given a written reason for this proposal, but has verbally indicated the existing gate & driveway are too close to an intersection.

The corner driveway has been an integral ingress/egress for 20 plus years.
May the city make the proposed change without property owner permission? What consent must they obtain and what must they demonstrate and to whom before making the change?

To be proactive and informed, what documents should I assemble and from whom do I obtain them?

I know all will be settled when I retain competent legal counsel, but I'd appreciate you fine folks' thoughts and suggestions in the meantime.

Thanks for an extremely informative site.

Last edited:

N

Neighbor Jim

What would you do if your city proposed THIS???

HomeGuru said:
**A: do you have a response to help other readers on this website?
Thanks for asking HomeGuru. FREE ADVICE is what we're supposed to be seeking or offering in this forum. In his private message to me, Real Estate Atty was only offering his services as an eminent domain attorney. Perhaps I should have been more clear: I know more info is needed. I DON'T expect someone to advise me to perfection in this forum and I certainly would not ACT solely on any advice shared here. I will eventually activate my established & competent $450/hr real estate attorney, but until I do so I'm seeking some discourse regarding my scenario.

Let's have some FREE ADVICE, valid or invalid, or questions that help spell out my particulars. This site is very interesting to peruse, and even annecdotal experiences from differing states while often irrelevant are good food for thought. Soooo, FREE LEGAL ADVICE or "here's what I experienced" stories anyone? Thanks in advance everyone, for your contributions to this highly informative site.

HomeGuru

Neighbor Jim said:
Thanks for asking HomeGuru. FREE ADVICE is what we're supposed to be seeking or offering in this forum. In his private message to me, Real Estate Atty was only offering his services as an eminent domain attorney. Perhaps I should have been more clear: I know more info is needed. I DON'T expect someone to advise me to perfection in this forum and I certainly would not ACT solely on any advice shared here. I will eventually activate my established & competent $450/hr real estate attorney, but until I do so I'm seeking some discourse regarding my scenario.

Let's have some FREE ADVICE, valid or invalid, or questions that help spell out my particulars. This site is very interesting to peruse, and even annecdotal experiences from differing states while often irrelevant are good food for thought. Soooo, FREE LEGAL ADVICE or "here's what I experienced" stories anyone? Thanks in advance everyone, for your contributions to this highly informative site.
**A: thanks. Attorney's posting on this website should not be soliciting clients.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">