• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Citizens arrest laws.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LoboEureka

What is the name of your state? Washington State.
First off I apoligize if this is the incorrect folder for this post. Please move it if you feel the need to.
I live in an appartment complex and the past two nights cars in the parking lot have been broken into. While it is unlikeley that they will be back for a third night unless they're stupid, I would like to know what rights I have if I happen to catch them. What are the boundaries of keeping them detained? I have pepper spray, clubs, zip ties, air pistols, fists... If I catch them fiddling with my car or anybodies car for that matter, can I walk up to them and give them a good beating? Since I rent and do not own the land do I have the right to take them down for tresspassing?
My other concern is I saw them walking through the complex before this all happened (I know it was them from a whitness description) and they look to be 16-20 years old. If they happen to be minors and I put the hurt on them will this make more problems for me legally?
If I do get arrested for assault what can I expect to have to deal with? I realize this is a bad idea, but I believe I can handle it.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

stephenk

make sure they cant identify you and then beat the hell out of them. walk away and then return as a "good samaritan" to help call the police and paramedics.

You Are Guilty

:D

Personally, I like Stephen's advice, but for something a little less, uh, problematic, you can always just call the police to report a burglary/robbery in progress. If it looks like they're armed (even if they're not, we all know it's hard to tell the difference between a gun and a screwdriver from so far away), the police tend to come much more quickly.

CdwJava

WA may not permit the use of force to detain people as part of a citizen's arrest, so you have to be very careful. In CA you could be held liable for assault and battery if you were to detain someone forcibly ... whether you'd be convicted or not really depends on the circumstances, but you could be held to answer for the assault.

Carl

dequeendistress

I would like to re-emphasis that if "you put the hurt on" Juveniles you will be looking at some serious charges against you. What you are describing is a reason to call police. (And/Or install a good car alarm)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">