• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it true that statute of limitation doesn't begin until you're 18?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

legal_novice

What is the name of your state? IN

This incident happened approximately 10 years ago, when I was 8, so I have long ago stopped thinking I could sue.

But then I read through another topic on this site (possibly this message board...don't remember) that, if something happens to you when you're a minor, your statute of limitation isn't until four years after you become an a d u l t (why doesn't it let me use that word?), or 22.

Well, I just turned 18, so I wanted to make sure this information was accurate before I continue on with my legal battle.

Just in case the type of case has relevance to the issue, I'll give you a brief synopsis: I was at a waterpark, in line for one of those innertube rides. I'd just barely gotten on the wooden staircase (which leads you up to the top of the slide) and was at the first landing area. It was maybe 10 feet off the ground. I was leaning on the railing and it gave way, causing me to fall backwards. In any event, there were a lot of medical bills. I'm not sure what went on to try and settle this before, but I do know that my parents took pictures of everything. As far as I know, all they did was contact the park one time asking for compensation, and we got a letter back from them saying they weren't going to give us anything. (Yeah, my parent's aren't/weren't exactly the smartest).

So yeah, please let me know if that thing about statute of limitation for newly-turned a d u l t s is true.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">