• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorcing my husband-he raped my grand-daughter and 2 other teens

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mea Ater

book antiquaWhat is the name of your state? Ohio
I am divorcing my husband because he raped my grandaughter, who was 6 years old at the time, plus two other teenage girls.
My husband is retired and receives almost $3,000 a month through State Teachers Retirement. My attorney told me the other day, he doesn't know if my husband will get his retirement when he goes to prison. That's the only source I have to receive any alimony. If he doesn't get it, I don't get it. Why would this be? Can a man convicted of more than one felony and almost 15 years of marriage be allowed to pay his wife nothing? Please explain.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Mea Ater said:
book antiquaWhat is the name of your state? Ohio
I am divorcing my husband because he raped my grandaughter, who was 6 years old at the time, plus two other teenage girls.
My husband is retired and receives almost $3,000 a month through State Teachers Retirement. My attorney told me the other day, he doesn't know if my husband will get his retirement when he goes to prison. That's the only source I have to receive any alimony. If he doesn't get it, I don't get it. Why would this be? Can a man convicted of more than one felony and almost 15 years of marriage be allowed to pay his wife nothing? Please explain.

My response:

And when you asked your attorney this question, what did he say?

IAAL

I believe when one goes to jail, there are situations where that person's benefits - and I think it varies depending on what type of benefits one is receiving - will automatically stop. This has nothing to do with the individual's marital status or how many dependants the individual may have. Unfortunately for you, if your husband goes to jail, and if the type of benefits your husband receives is under this category, then he will loose his income. And the consequence is, you will not receive any of his income. Your lawyer should be able to explain this to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">