• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex took my car!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pat2003

North Carolina: I am not sure if I am in the right are- I have made a terrible mistake. Last summer my car broke down. A few months later, my boyfriend's car also broke down. We were in desperate need of a car. I was, and still, am in school and did not make much money. He was working but did not make much either. I saved all that I could and made the decision to get a car in January. Somehow, he convinced me to get a car together. My EX boyfriend does not have great credit and was determined not to cosign. HE chose a car and became upset when I wanted to keep looking. I finally gave in, picking out a 2000 Cavelier. I put the car in my name and paid all the fees and made payments/insurance for about four months. We had agreed to share the car but he always had a reason to have the car. He now has the car in his possession. He now pays for the car and the insurance. He has even gone as far as giving my key to another female (he said that if something was to happen like he locked the key inside the car, she is able to get to the vehicle with a spare key-there is no reason for me to have a key if i can't get to the car). I felt there was no reason for me continue to pay for the car or have my name on the title if I couldn't have access to my car. I asked him several times to either give the car to me, sign over the title to his name, or I would report the car stolen. He practically threaten me a few times saying that I would "never see the car or him again", "be sorry if I sent him to jail", among other things. In our origianlly agreement, he said he would pay me back the money I have put into the car but I have yet to see a dime. I am afraid to report the incident to the police because I don't know what he will do to me, the car, etc. I am unable to get a car now because I don't have any money. What can I do to get the car back or at least get it out of my name? Is there anyway to get my money back or will I have to sue?

JETX

pat2003 said:
I felt there was no reason for me continue to pay for the car or have my name on the title if I couldn't have access to my car.
*** Simply, what you 'feel' has absolutely NOTHING to do with your obligation to repay the agreement that YOU signed.

I asked him several times to either give the car to me, sign over the title to his name, or I would report the car stolen.
*** You can't do that.... doing so could make YOU liable for charges of filing a false report.

What can I do to get the car back or at least get it out of my name? Is there anyway to get my money back or will I have to sue?
The missing element in all of your post is 'is the car in YOUR name??'. If so, simply, take a key and go get YOUR car. As long as your name is on the title, you have EQUAL rights to possession of the vehicle.

P

pat2003

Actually, if you read thoroughly, I did state that it was in my name several times throughout the post.

CdwJava

But is it also in HIS name?

In a situation like this, the police are not likely going to be able to enter the car as a stolen vehicle. NCIC (the national crime computer system) requires that unless the car is taken per the definition of theft in your state, then a warrant for the suspect for the embezzlement of the vehicle would have to be obtained first. And this is likely only to happen IF the car is in your name only, and not his. And even then, it might take a few weeks to get the warrant IF the DA where you are decides it is not a civil matter.

Carl

JETX

pat2003 said:
Actually, if you read thoroughly, I did state that it was in my name several times throughout the post.
Who can trust what you say.... since your post is somewhat contradictory and makes several implications....

"Somehow, he convinced me to get a car together." (which to me means.... both names.

"My EX boyfriend does not have great credit and was determined not to cosign."
That leads one to believe that you were purchasing and that he MAY have cosigned.... or not.

"We had agreed to share the car"
That could mean to share OWNERSHIP.... or just use.

In any case..... your follow up tells us that your name is on the title.... so, as stated in my post:
"take a key and go get YOUR car."
Seems pretty simple to me.

P

pat2003

Again, read my post... all the info is there. The car is in my name, not his. I no longer have my key therefore I can not simply get my car. One I would have to find him, and two, there is a risk that something bad can happen. If anyone actually knows what to do, legally, I would greatly appreciate it. I do not want comments without complete consideration of possible consequences.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">