• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal liability for parent with no legal custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CTaylor

I have 100% legal and physical custody of my four children. "ex" has 15% visitation rights and pays minimal child support. Does "ex" have any legal liability for any wrong doings the children may commit. Such as, if one of the children, who is newly licensed to drive, is at fault in a car accident, does "ex" have any financial responsibility for this accident?

S

Skorpio

I think you should seek legal counsel in your state. In my opinion, If you have 100% legal custody then you are responsible, but then I could be wrong. What about car insurance? Maybe you shoudl get a new order to stipulate what you are now wanting, and maybe talk to the other parent and get a new agreement together and show the courts you are willing to work together on new agreements.

Either way, seek counsel.

Skorpio

MySonsMom

I think that the parent the child is with at the time of the incident is the one that will be held liable. But, both parents are liable for their children, but when it comes to situations...I believe the parent that the child is with at the time would be held accountable at that particular moment. I could be wrong, someone will correct me if I am.

------------------
*There is no love, like the unconditional love of a Mother*

-I am not an Attorney, any advice given is strictly advice-

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">