• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

custody concern

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

silvergal

My ex has custody of our son, they live in texas, in the same town as mine and his relatives. Now, my ex is letting our son move to Arkansas to live with and aunt and uncle. I want him to come live with me, but he wants to go live with them because they don't make him do his homework or behave like he should. I do. I live in tenessee. Is it legal for him to let the child go live with these people in another state?

LegalBeagle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by silvergal:
My ex has custody of our son, they live in texas, in the same town as mine and his relatives. Now, my ex is letting our son move to Arkansas to live with and aunt and uncle. I want him to come live with me, but he wants to go live with them because they don't make him do his homework or behave like he should. I do. I live in tenessee. Is it legal for him to let the child go live with these people in another state?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The CP can determind where a child resides.. *but* it also opens them up to a custody petition... and a change like this is grounds enough for you to attempt to gain custody. I suggest you seek advice from a Texas based Family Law Attorney as soon as possible.

------------------
Psst... I do not work for Macdonald’s or Burger King, and even if I did, I would not tell you. For sloppy bread, tired tomatoes, frozen onions, watered down mayonnaise and imitation meat, please find a drive through window with a person who openly admits they make that stuff.

My advice above is equal to the advice they would give if you asked that person a legal question.

S

Skorpio

Depending on the age of your son, why don't you ask him where he really wants to live? and let him learn on his own that the easy way out isn't always the best way. I know it would be hard, but maybe by making some good points to your son, he may change his mind. Ask him where he wants to go in the future, and if he wants to go to school for a specific profession and what not. Ask him what exactly he wants from them that he can't get from you or Dad. Be open and honest, and you just may be surprised that he's not as bad or lazy as everyone thinks. If he insists on going with the relatives, then you need to sit down with them and create a parenting plan with them, let them know that you are not just going to "roll over" and do some compromising. I know it's hard to let your child go, but in the end, he will grow up, and if you let him make his decisions, he has no one to blame but himself. I might be a little brah on this but i think, depending on the age, you can't really control what that child ants, they will find one way or another to get what they want. Lie, runaway, whatever it takes to get there. But maybe, just maybe, if you are honest and open to him, he might see you as a person, instead of a parent.

Good luck,

Skorpio

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">