• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

any retribution after divorce?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bbdd21

What is the name of your state? Lousiana

I have been divorced approx 3 years. I left because my husband was abusive and I just wanted out. I moved out of state. We supposedly have shared parenting with equal rights. He gets to claim the kids each year on income tax, there is no child support paid..this was agreed to. He is supposed to give me $500.00 a year when my children stay with me in the summer, which he doesn't. When I left..he emptied out the bank accounts and got a lawyer..I had no money, so was unable to afford a lawyer. His lawyer did all the paperwork.. When they sent me the paperwork to be signed..They told me to revise anything that I did not agree with, and I did..When they sent the final paperwork, nothing had been revised and they took my signature off of the back page and stapled it to the front of the papers, so I never actually signed the final papers. He kept all of his profit share, which was about $65,000. This amount was not listed, just that he keeps the profit share and I keep a checking and savings account, which he had already emptied out. It also stated that he would keep other vehicles and bills, and that I would pay a hospital and doctor bill. Now, after 3 years he says a bill is showing up on his credit report, and if I didn't pay it, he would sue me and try to get child support. These accounts are from the hospital which was in his name. One was for birth of one of our children and my hospital bill while we were married. He is the guarantor. I don't make much money at all, so he probably wouldn't get child support anyway, but the bills stated on the divorce papers are NOT the ones that he is trying to get me to pay. I have let him get away with a lot of things, mainly because I didn't want to take my kids away from the rest of the family and was afraid of him at the time. If he starts any action, do I have any recourse on the profit share or trying to get custody of my children? I haven't proceeded with any action or tried to get a lawyer because of my financial situation..I can barely pay my bills now. I work for a health care agency and am lucky to clear $500 every 2 weeks. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">