• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

confused dad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

the_love_of_my_son

I live in Oregon and my ex and I split up when she was 3 months pregnant with my son.I went to every doctor visit with her and kept in touch with her through out her pregnancy. She didnt want me on the birth certificate or for him to have my last name. The day he was born I went and got the paternity papers started, so I could legally be his dad. She also has supervised visitations, but we have no court order custody or visitations set. I want to file for joint legal custody, and to have him have my last name, and a very reasonable visitation. Do you think I have a chance.

M

MikeC

I am somewhat attempting the same thing. A few other roadblocks in the way but basically my son dosn't have my last name, she wants supervised visitation, dosn't want me to have any custody. Taking paternity to make it at least legal. Best Wishes

LegalBeagle

Providing there is no abuse, neglect or history of child crimes then every father has a right to partial custody, full visitation and a say in the childs upbringing. All you need to do is go to court and ask a judge for your rights. Forget what the mother says or threatens you with.

------------------
Psst.. I am not an attorney, and even if I was, I would not tell you. What I am giving you is not legal advice in anyway. For proper legal advice, retain a person who openly admits they are an attorney.

T

the_love_of_my_son

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeC:
I am somewhat attempting the same thing. A few other roadblocks in the way but basically my son dosn't have my last name, she wants supervised visitation, dosn't want me to have any custody. Taking paternity to make it at least legal. Best Wishes<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for your reply, anything is very helpfull. The paternity case is about done. All I have to do is wait my 30 days out. I know this is just the beginning and there is a whole lot ahead that I have to go thru but I'm not only standing up for my rights but I'm also standing up for my son's rights. Thanks again.

T

the_love_of_my_son

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LegalBeagle:
Providing there is no abuse, neglect or history of child crimes then every father has a right to partial custody, full visitation and a say in the childs upbringing. All you need to do is go to court and ask a judge for your rights. Forget what the mother says or threatens you with.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I want to thank you. Your response was greatly appreciated. I will try to keep you posted on what happens in the near future. Thanks so much.

S

sturgeon_general_2000

I have some experience in Oregon with family law. I am not a lawyer just a paralegal. What is it about the paternity that is taking 30 days, I do not understand. In Oregon both parents have to agree in order for a judge to order joint custody but that does not eliminate your right for joint decision making or unsupervised visitation. As the previous poster said as long as you do not have a history of abuse or crimes against children you won't have any trouble getting a court to allow you plenty of interaction with your child. Once the paternity is completed you can have the birth certificate updated to reflect you as the father, as far as the name change that will also have to be built into the parenting plan. good luck to you i am a strong believer in the fact that children deserve both of their parents.

T

the_love_of_my_son

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sturgeon_general_2000:
I have some experience in Oregon with family law. I am not a lawyer just a paralegal. What is it about the paternity that is taking 30 days, I do not understand. In Oregon both parents have to agree in order for a judge to order joint custody but that does not eliminate your right for joint decision making or unsupervised visitation. As the previous poster said as long as you do not have a history of abuse or crimes against children you won't have any trouble getting a court to allow you plenty of interaction with your child. Once the paternity is completed you can have the birth certificate updated to reflect you as the father, as far as the name change that will also have to be built into the parenting plan. good luck to you i am a strong believer in the fact that children deserve both of their parents.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

After the paternity papers are served you have 30 days to do something. If you agree to what is on the papers then you do nothing, just sit and wait your time out. Now why cant a judge decide joint custody. It seems like the person that has sole custody has all the rights and you just have to live with it whether its right or wrong. How can I make joint decisions with her having sole custody. And as the name change, how does a judge look at that. Please I need help. Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">