• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Following trademark infringement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

krnlg

If you've infringed a trademark, the stuff you used to do it can be confiscated. So what happens if you've run pirated software on a computer (which would be infringeing the trademarks associated with the software), but because its in your own home no-one really knows about it, would it then be illegal to use the computer, because if you'd been found out it could've been confiscated?
Or would it only be illigal if you'd actually been to court and told to hand it over, etc.
Like my last question, this is more a matter of the technicalities of law, rather than any really pressing need :)

divgradcurl

If you are using pirated software at home, there is no trademark infringement. Trademark infringement requires "customers" to be "confused" about the origin of the product -- if you are not selling pirated software, there can be no trademark infringement.

Copyright infringement, well, that's a whole 'nuther story, as they say...

krnlg

Actually, thinking about it, I was under the impression that there would be trademark infringement because the software would probably contain trademarked logos, etc. But never mind about that.

I was just wondering, if there was the possibility that the equipment would be confiscated if the infringement (of compyright/trademark/whatever law) was discovered, would its continued use actually be illegal if a court hadn't yet ordered it to be confiscated (because the courts didn't know about it)?

Thanks for any information

krnlg

Err.. don't know if I should be bumping this but... does anyone have any information please? :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">