• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Help?!?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Twistah

What is the name of your state? NY

Family home is still titled to Grandfather (passed away 70 years ago). Letters Testementary divided property among 3 heirs (all recently deceased). My mom remained in the family home paying all costs and providing significant improvement to the property. Now cousin demands access to home & property for distribution of personal property of Grandfather's estate. Is there a statute of limitation for the distribution or collection of decedants personal property? At this point I would not know what belonged to my parents and what didn't.
How do I respond to this request?

Dandy Don

Only an executor has the legal authority to handle personal property. Is it possible this cousin may be expecting to receive property under one of the recent decedents and does he have a will to state what he is entitled to

At some point you need to consider going through probate process to get title in the names of the legal heirs--it shouldn't still be in grandpa's name unless there is an exceptional reason for doing so.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">