• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rebuild quesion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nonboatr

What is the name of your state?in VA. we have property that has an easement and a right of use for a pier, granted to the neighbors. That pier and lift was broken considerably in a storm. Because of that, we had it removed from our taxes until we want to rebuild. In the agreement, it says if act of god destroys it, we are under no obligation to rebuild. The neighbors want the pier rebuilt at their cost saying it just needs repairs. Can I just say wait until we are ready?

nextwife

A complete review of the exact wording would be needed to answer your question. If the agreement is only that you are not OBLIGATED to pay, but does not state thay are prohibed from doing this themselves at their own expense, you may be obligated to allow them to repair/rebuild.

An attorney could review and tell you more accurately after looking over the exact language of the ROW agreement.

nonboatr

rebuilding

va
the wording does state that they could build onto the existing structure with our approval. I am more concerned with the way they will do this, they consider the rebuilding as "simple" repair which I believe they will do themselves, not getting appropriate permits, insurance coverage and the end result in this case would not be what was originally there. Eventhough they would pay for replacing my property, since it is mine (I pay all taxes), I think I should say how it looks, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">