• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is This Parental Alienation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Candymartin

My husband and I live in Ohio. I have two stepdaughters, ages 6 & 12. Their Mother is remarried and is "residentional parent and legal custodian to the girls. The Mother encourages the 6 year old to call her stepfather "Dad". In her mother's presence she must refer to my husband by his name. When we are at school functions church, etc. (anywhere we are all at together) the stepfather is constantly holding her in his lap or holding hands with her and she is not allowed to come and talk to us. The 12 year always comes to see us. If for some reason the 12 year old doesn't come for visitation because of school function or overnight with friend, the mother does not allow 6 year old to come. When we call for phone visitation we either get told they are "unavailable" or are in bed. If we do get to talk to them the mother stands right beside of the 6 year old and she won't talk. We found out when my husband went to visit school he is not even mentioned in the girls' file. Only stepfather is listed. We have also been told that the 6 year old sleeps with her mom and stepdad most nights. She will be 7 in October. We feel this is inapprorpriate. Is there anything we can do about all of this? When we try to talk to the 6 yr old she just nods and shrugs her shoulders so we do not believe she will tell the guardian ad litem anything. We feel as though the mother is trying to make the stepfather the more important father figure in the 6 yr olds life and it is working. How do we stop this? We have visitation three weekends a month and then the standard visitation schedule. My husband does not want to pay our attorney more money if there is nothing we can do. We already owe him a fortune.
Thanks!

U

Ukiah

You should look up the State Family Codes and see what they say about Matters in Considering Custody, and seek an attorney's opinion as to how to proceed with court. Your child is being used as a pawn and shouldn't be. The mother is trying to take away everything she can from the father.

Good luck,

Ukiah

------------------
All that you have read in no way is Legal Advice, it is a matter of opinion to help you in your quest

T

Tigres

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LegalBeagle:
The problem is, that PAS is extremely difficult to prove.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Blocking visitation for the 6 year old wouldn't be though. (I wouldn't go into where the child sleeps though, there are people for and against a family bed.) Dare I ask why school functions are interfering with visits? In other words, why doesn't your husband attend?

Tig

C

Candymartin

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tigres:
Blocking visitation for the 6 year old wouldn't be though. (I wouldn't go into where the child sleeps though, there are people for and against a family bed.) Dare I ask why school functions are interfering with visits? In other words, why doesn't your husband attend?

Tig
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Several times a year the school has game night for the students and only they attend with teachers as chaperones. My husband and myself attend as many school functions that we can but his exwife will not inform us of any school activities and the girls aren't allowed to tell us. We depend on the schools to notify us and they don't always do that. As far as family bed is concerned we believe it is fine til a certain age but I can't believe any father would want his daughter in bed with her stepfather.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">