• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contested v. Uncontested

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lilshugga

What is the name of your state? GA

How do you know if you'll have a contested divorce or not? I've been trying to figure this one out when wanting to call lawyers that have lower prices for uncontested divorces. I can tell you that I've been married 14 years, and my husband and I have two minor kids. Hope this helps!

Thx,
Lilshugga

cmorris

Can you and your spouse agree on the terms of your divorce? If so, then it would be uncontested. Let's say that you file for divorce first. Your lawyer would write up the divorce decree and send it to your spouse. If your husband signs it, it is uncontested. If he disagrees with something in it, and does not sign, it is contested. And vice versa.

J

jimi444

ya, I setup a non-contested divorce with the ex-wife. Everything was supposed to be really simple since we did not have a house, property, kids or anything to fight over. She ended up turning it into a contested divorce and dragged it out for 8 months and made it very costly for me! Just to be a b**ch, she wanted the cash value of my assests. I left her with 16,000$ in assests and I had 2,100$ in assests. I was also taking the 5,600$ in credit card debt. Originally, my unconested divorce was going to cost me 750$ (for the lwayer). But when she decided to fight, I had to pay 500$ more to my lawyer - 700$ for mediation and 800$ to the ex-wife (for her wal-mart shopping spree).
So watch out, they can change they're mind at anytime!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">