• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help for mother in law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Shalah

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Illinois
My mother in law needs to get divorced !!
She is 67 years old...has no income other than Social Security ($400 a month)...she has a small savings ($10,000) and Huge debt !! Her husband is an alcoholic, has a girlfriend and doesn't seem to be willing to help. All of their debt is in her name because of his DUI's and horrible credit. The vehicle he uses to drive to work is in her name. One more thing his mother is currently living with them and is in poor health...He has her social security money $1400 a month deposited into an account with only his name on it. What can she do? Divorce is expensive...if she takes his truck he can't work and certainly won't be able to help financially then...she doesn't think she can file for bankruptcy because of his income and his mothers income in his name.
Please help us quickly - she is staying at my house until we all figure something out :( Thanks

I'm not a bankruptcy lawyer, but I don't think your household income has anything to do with whether or not you can file for bankruptcy. What's more important is how much debt you have and if you are unable to repay your debt without becoming homeless.

You don't provide enough information for us to seriously analyze this situation. Does she own a home ? How much asset does her husband have? How long have they been married...what is the condition of his health? How come she has $10,000 when she has a "huge debt"? How are they managing to pay off this "huge debt" every month ? Does the husband pay for household expenses? How does she plan to live on her own if she separates from him? Are you willing to take her in ?

Are you guys even thinking about a divorce at all ? Or do you want to figure out a way to get some sort of financial resolution so that she can perhaps reduce her debt, and get some share of his money and continue this miserable marriage - until the day comes when he goes to heaven and she can rest easy and take over the house?

What is it that you want to do ?

S

Shalah

Unbelievably she has forgiven & forgotten! I'm not sure what she is going to do now but the reason she has $10,000 is because she has been secretly saving it incase this happened. They do not own a home, (it was foreclosed on they rent now) they have about $20,000 in debt (including car loans & credit cards). She doesn't want to work or live alone and no we cannot take her in. There is no reason she can't work. She decided two years ago to recieve early social security because they needed the income and didn't consider the money she would be losing by doing so. She has made some poor decisions and as far as I'm concerned she is still making them.
Thank you for your info on bankruptcy! I'll pass it on if it comes to this again which I'm sure it will! :mad:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">