• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

WANTING TO MOVE OUT OF STATE

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MTANGEL

I HAVE BEEN DIVORCED SINCE 98, AND I HAVE THREE CHILDREN 14, 12, AND 7 FROM IT. I HAVE RECENTLY REMARRIED, AND WE WANT TO MOVE TO TENN. WHERE IT WOULD BE BETTER TO RAISE THE KIDS. THE EX HAS BEEN CONVICTED OF A FEDERAL FELONY, BUT WILL NOT BE SENTENCED UNTIL OCT.25. I HAVE BEEN INFORMED THAT I HAVE TO GET HIS PERMISSION TO MOVE. I DONT THINK THAT IS RIGHT, SINCE HE IS A GAMBLER, AND HAS THE FELONY, AND HE HARDLY EVER GETS THE KIDS, HE WANTS TO GO OUT EVERY WEEKEND, AND THEN SAYS HE CANT KEEP THEM SINCE HE LIVES WITH HIS MOM. I NEED SOME ADVICE, PLEASE ON WHAT I CAN DO. THANK YOU LOUISIANA

LegalBeagle

Please do not use upper case.. gives me a headache...

Anyway, all you have to do is write him a letter (certified) 30 days before, informing him of your intent to move. Give him the new address where the children will be. It is then up to HIM to petition the courts to stop you if he wants. With his record, he will not get vey far.

The only exception to the above is if any of your court orders actually states that you can not move.. then YOU have to petition the courts for permission.

------------------
Psst... I do not work for Macdonald’s or Burger King, and even if I did, I would not tell you. For sloppy bread, tired tomatoes, frozen onions, watered down mayonnaise and imitation meat, please find a drive through window with a person who openly admits they make that stuff.

My advice above is equal to the advice they would give if you asked that person a legal question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">