• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Assult in Iraq

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

thearmywife77

What is the name of your state?I'm here because im looking for answers or help anywhere I can. My husband was assulted while serving in Iraq by his section chief....If you are looking for a challenge read on, here's what I know of these events that led up and what has been done after.
First we had just moved to a new post and my husband had been shipped out with in 30 days of arriving, he was assigned a new unit and a new section cheif. Shortly after his arrival to Iraq the problems started with his new section cheif, whom he did not meet until he arrived in Iraq, my husband an e-4 at the time and the cheif an e-6. My husband called and told me of the NCO touching him by poking his finger in the chest. I advised him to just do the best he can and walk away if he seems like he would blow his temper understanding that all of the men were under a great deal of stress and every time he walked away. In one incident my husband had told me of over the phone while in Iraq was that his cheif had took him down an empty road and got out of the vehicle and then fired his weapon at my husband and missed, no witnesses were around so there was no proof. My husband was also talking to others in his chain of command about the problems he was having with this NCO and requested to be moved to another section and was denied. In the final incident the NCO began yelling and screaming and again began poking my husband in the chest and each time my husband remained calm and told the NCO to please do not touch him and thats when the NCO head-butted my husband in the face breaking his nose. No one was around to witness this incedent. My husband immediatly walked away to go find his 1sgt and the NCO followed still yelling at my husband instead he ran into his smoke and my husband explained to him what had just happened and the NCO immediately said my husband was lying and disobeying his orders. He then stated to his smoke that if his cheif touches him again he will shoot him. The NCO continued to yell at my husband "at ease". After receiving legal advice through JAG the statement that he had made was not a threat but one made under distress, yet nothing happened to the NCO and my husband recieved an art 15 with a reduction in two ranks and a one half months fine, for making a threat and failure to obey a direct order.
Shortly after the incident my husband went to a medic and verifiyed his broken nose and then went on to have it verified by a doctor in Iraq who advised surgery. It wasn't until he returned from Iraq, six months, later that he received the surgerey to repair his broken nose. We continued to fight his ART 15 by advice from JAG to file an appeal in which we did and it was denied by the battalion commander because there was not enough evidence. I read through some army regs that if an appeal is denied it has to be in writing the reasons it was denied and givin to the soldier, which was not done. Also after my husband returned from Iraq went to the MPs to formally charge the NCO with assult charges and the the NCO was arrested and charged and refused a lie detector test. The MPs assigned to his unit in Iraq refused to let him file the charges. Also his unit denied him to speak to IG while over there, so he emailed them. I emailed my congressman as well. Our congressmen sent us their final investigation report which was done by my husbands battalion, and we had requested it to be done by some one outside the battalion. The results from the congressmans letter came first and then denial of the appeal to the art 15, then the formal charges to the NCO. So it seems that they already had their mind made up and wasn't going to change their minds no matter what. Recently my husband filed a financial hardship discharge as was also denied. We have three children and have no idea what to do and in no way can afford a real lawyer. Please someone out there if you have any advice. It will be greatly appreciated!!!!!

gphjr

You didn't put your state, I guess you did that to protect which installation your located at. I think there is more to this story then your telling or your husband is telling you. Shooting at another soldier and no-one beleiving you, Getting your nose broken and no-one beleiving you tells me that something is not correct with your husband. I want to ask what kind of unit he is in? I have my guesses. Your husband should file a formal IG complaint and name names. This action is a double edged sword. I'm sure that the Sergeant does always dog him out when they are alone only.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">