• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Comfort care only

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

litlebitgizmome

undefined What is the name of your state?Texas My mother had some lower back pain and received three two sets of facet injections. She showed little improvement. Throughout the next two months she had become practically bedridden. Complaints of severe lower left back pain. She began falling and could not bear weight. I sent her to the hospital, where they performed no tests. I had to demand the x-ray. Dr informed me that at her age (74), it was normal for her to be in pain. Said she needed pain meds and to see our regular doctor because nothing was wrong with her. Hospital sent her home. She got worse and fell more. I sent her back and literally begged ER to run some tests. Said that couldn't without outside doctors orders. I got those, and the tests found her white count to be extremely elevated. Doctors diagnosed her with acute leukemia, then leukocytosis, then sepsis (of unknown origin). Said she was terminal. Told my sister and myself that she needed comfort care only. They would ween her off of food and meds. They called in the chaplain. They called hospice. They informed family to make burial arrangements.
She was in hospital 20 days. During that time my sister and I noticed a hard, hot boil-like place on her left hip. We asked that it be seen. When mother was discharged from hospital, nothing had been done to place on hip.
We sent her to a nursing home, where we asked the attending doctor there to evaluate hip. His assistant diagnosed it as cellulitis and put hot towels on it. My mother's health got worse.
I had her taken to an outside doctor, where she got so sick in the waiting room that shse begged to be taken to the hospital emergency room.
There they found an abscess on her left hip. It was drained and 3 liters of puss were removed. The area of infection had tunnelled up her back and down her leg in two places.
This began in November of last year. This is the end of July 2004, and I now have my mother back home. She is not terminal, but she will never walk or drive again, thanks to this episode.
If your gut tells you that not every doctor need to be practicing medicine, and if you feel you need to do something more than what the professionals are advising...... make sure you follow your instinct.

ellencee

If your gut tells you that not every doctor need to be practicing medicine, and if you feel you need to do something more than what the professionals are advising...... make sure you follow your instinct.
OK.

But, if I were your mother, I'd hire an attorney and sue a few medical/healthcare providers for doing this to me.

EC

lkc15507

Absolutely. Being elderly does not mean "do not treat". It's not for the providers to determine quality or quantity of life. My Mom just turned 77. She can outdo me in a minute. Go get 'em if you can. You can. Thinking of you and praying for you, lkc15507.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">