• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Administrator of will?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jrmahoney

What is the name of your state? MASSACHUSETTS
Hello, I was appointed the administrator of my mother's estate. This was approved by the probate court. My mother was in a nursing home when she passed away. There are 8 heirs-at-law, including myself. The lawyer I used seems very ineffective and slow to do anything. My mother passed away two years ago, and the lawyer was- at that time- supposed to contact medicare to see if they had a claim to any money. In May (two years AFTER my mother's death), the lawyer FINALLY contacted medicare. In the meantime, the approval of my adminstor position was authorized by the court. MY QUESTION is this: Do I have to wait for a response by Medicare, and if so, how long? I would like to distribute this money evenly to the survivors soon, but don't know if this appointment as administrator lets me go ahead and do so. As I said, the lawyer seemed to drag his feet forever in the interest of jacking up his time and resulting bill. Any advice is appreciated.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jrmahoney said:
What is the name of your state? MASSACHUSETTS
Hello, I was appointed the administrator of my mother's estate. This was approved by the probate court. My mother was in a nursing home when she passed away. There are 8 heirs-at-law, including myself. The lawyer I used seems very ineffective and slow to do anything. My mother passed away two years ago, and the lawyer was- at that time- supposed to contact medicare to see if they had a claim to any money. In May (two years AFTER my mother's death), the lawyer FINALLY contacted medicare. In the meantime, the approval of my adminstor position was authorized by the court. MY QUESTION is this: Do I have to wait for a response by Medicare, and if so, how long? I would like to distribute this money evenly to the survivors soon, but don't know if this appointment as administrator lets me go ahead and do so. As I said, the lawyer seemed to drag his feet forever in the interest of jacking up his time and resulting bill. Any advice is appreciated.

My response:

Give me a timeline - -

The dates when . . .

1. Mom died.

2. You obtained representation.

3. Probate was filed.

4. You were appointed Administrator of the Estate.

5. When inquiries were made to Medicare.

IAAL

J

jrmahoney

thanks for your reply...Here are the anwers to your questions.... I will aslo send to your userid.

My mom died in July, 2002

I obtained representation in October, 2002

I am unsure when probate was filed, but I was appointed administrator in June, 2004

Inquiry to Mecare was made in May, 2004, ALTHOUGH the lawyer repeatedly told me for almost two years that he was going to do it right away.

Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">