• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can they do this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

okienana

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Oklahoma
I am not sure what this falls under so I am going to give this one a try. My husband belongs to an organization with officers, board of directors and volunteers that put on a rodeo in our area every year. He has been involved since 1989 and has served as a director several years in the past. This year he was a volunteer. Three of the members decided they did not want him on there anymore because they do not like him, and had a meeting with the directors and the three said they did not like him and do not want him involved with the rodeo in the future. The other members wanted to vote but the three would not vote and said he could not come back. No one has officially notified him that he can no longer participate.This organization has a set of by-laws and we have asked for a set repeatedly and have not been given any. We were told they are locked in a safe deposit box at the bank. I served as secretary in 1992 and have some idea how the by-laws are set up and they are not abiding by the terms and conditions of those documents. They do not post meeting, time, place, call meeting to order take minutes just to name a few. One of the officers (who wants him out) never made one meeting this year but he showed up at the rodeo to run the whole show. So my question is who makes them obey the by-laws, do they have to go by the open meeting act and can they just decide if they do not like someone they can say no you do not come back even without voting. The directors or anyone else will not stand up and take a stand for what is right and insist that it be ran by the by-laws. So what can be done? Thanks

rmet4nzkx

It is a private organization. You have not mentioned anything that violates civil rights. Unless you can organize enough people to play the game their way, you can leave or stay and wait until someone asks for help. Let them do it their own way and see what happens.

okienana

Oklahoma

Yes it is a private orginiztion, It is Inc. I think that they set the bylaws up by the Oklahoma General Corporation Act. If this helps.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">