• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing the Post Office?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

amylama

What is the name of your state? Iowa

Hi, I sell stamp collecting products and collections on ebay. I recently shipped 2 packages by media mail that were opened and inspected by the post office. The post office sent them to the recipients with postage due on them, stating that they did NOT qualify for media mail. Both packages contained stockbooks that are used to keep stamped envelopes in. One book was empty and the other was half full. Both books contained over 40 pages each.

The letters that I received from the post office even state that "books with at least 8 pages" qualify for media mail rate. I went to the post office and tried to dispute with the manager what had happened. I brought printed copies that included pictures of the items I had shipped. First the lady tried to argue with me that they were not bound books. And I said what are you talking about? You can't remove the pages... She then produced a piece of paper with "rules" that she gave me that says "books with at least 8 PRINTED pages". She said there was nothing she could do for me.

I then came home and read much information on the USPS web site and EVERYTHING I find there says "books with at least 8 pages" qualify for media mail rate. Is this piece of paper with rules on it not available to the general public?

I could possibly receive 2 bad feedback marks to my ebay account if these people are upset about having to go to the post office and pay to pick up there packages. My feedback is currently at 100%. I only charged them for media mail and did not profit from this in any way. I have already emailed both recipients and told them what's up and that I will gladly pay the difference in the shipping cost.

I am still upset about this and was NOT trying to rip the post office off. A book is a book, isn't it? I have called my local court house to find out how to file a small claims court case. It will be $50 plus whatever it costs to have the sherrif serve the papers.

I would only like to sue for the postage cost, probably under $10, 2 letters of apology written to the recipients, and that they update their website to include the word "printed" as in.... "book containing at least 8 PRINTED pages".

Can I sue for these types of things or is only money allowed?

Do I have a chance in he**? Or will I just be paying over $50 for further humiliation?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me.

A

amylama

I just read quite a few other posts and it looks like I can't sue the Post Office. At least not easily.

My apologies for not reading BEFORE posting.

JETX

"A book is a book, isn't it?"
*** No. A comic book is not a 'book'. Nor are your 'stockbooks'. The USPS defines 'media ratel' as:
"Used for books, film, manuscripts, printed music, printed test materials, sound recordings, play scripts, printed educational charts, loose-leaf pages and binders consisting of medical information, videotapes, and computer recorded media such as CD-ROMs and diskettes. Media Mail cannot contain advertising."

You might also find the information at the following site of interest:
http://www.billingsgazette.com/index.php?id=1&display=rednews/2004/07/11/build/business/62-usps-cracks.inc

"Can I sue for these types of things or is only money allowed?"
*** Small claims courts only hear issues of monetary damages.

"Do I have a chance in he**?"
*** No.

"Or will I just be paying over $50 for further humiliation?"
*** Yep.

Also, the USPS enjoys exemption from any such claim.

A

amylama

I found the article quite interesting and the part about the person sending face cream certainly deserved to be caught. But I also thought the treatment of the other person who sent the videos with a card enclosed to be a bit extreme. Do you honestly think that that sender was trying to cheat the post office out of 37 cents? I would be more apt to believe that they did NOT realize that by adding this card that they were breaking any rules.

In my own defense, I did NOT realize that books of at least 8 pages meant PRINTED pages. If I did, I certainly wouldn't have marched into that post office with printed copies of EXACTLY what I had sent in these packages. I have been reading about the topic all day and I do realize NOW what they mean. And even in your quote from the post office, it DOES state "books" as the very first thing allowed.

I still feel that the COMPLETE rules were not EASY to find. "printed" is a small word and could easily be added to the USPS web site and literature to avoid this type of confusion.

After reading that article, I feel like my name has been labeled as some type of criminal in the eyes of the post office. I honestly didn't know that only certain types of books were allowed.

I do see now how I broke the rules and I have read many of your (Jetx) posts before. I find them to be mostly informational and helpful, but your tongue lashings can sometimes be harsh. I am convinced that you were the captain of the debate club and won 99% off all debates if not 100%.... I do not mean that as an insult, If I was looking for an attorney, those would be the EXACT qualities I would admire.

But.... At the risk of ruffling feathers, and getting my own personal tongue lashing, I still must say.... "A Comic Book is not a book"? Maybe this is a matter of opinion, but I feel a comic book IS a book. AND If I had shipped comic books instead of stockbooks, I would still be feeling cheated at this point.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">