• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fell down apt complex stairs after stair fell off

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rrogers123

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?CALIFORNIA

I was going to work i fell down the stairs at my 450 unit apt complex the stair broke due to the base of concrete stair being metal and it rusted away . I fell and partially tore my tendon in my left elbow . I injured my back as well am in a cast for 6 to 8 weeks .I am left handed and this is screwing up my life !My back is all messed up saw dr and got xrays and am seeing a chriorpractor .Do i have a good case ?? The insurance contacted me do i get a attorney?? If i settle with ins how much and i guess im lookiing for some advice .. Thanks in advance

JETX

"Do i have a good case ??"
*** Can you prove that the complex was negligent in their maintenance of the stairs?? If not, then you may have no case at all.

"The insurance contacted me do i get a attorney??"
*** No, they will not provide an attorney for you; however, you are certainly free to go out and get your own attorney.

"If i settle with ins how much"
*** Depending on a full review of the facts, 'damages' and injuries..... somewhere between $1.76 and the moon.
Seriously, no one can answer your question as we don't know what your REAL damages are. For example, if you are forced to miss work, are you a minimum wage dishwasher, or a $10,000 per hour cardio-thoracic surgeon.

I

InjuryAtty

The landlord has a duty to keep the premises in a safe condition, and must routinely inspect the premises to ensure that the equipment and fixtures are in the proper condition.

Stairs don't just collapse. I have a feeling that there were signs beforehand that that stair was not in good condition.

One strong recommendation that I would make that will help you no matter what you do is to photograph the stair and stairway extensively RIGHT NOW, BEFORE THEY REPAIR IT to preserve the condition of the stairway in the before-repair condition; that's probably going to be the best evidence of their negligence.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">