• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Community Property, Attorney fees, spousal support/

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kcdogg

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA

My friend's husband lefy her for another woman. They have a house together and only their two youngest children live there, ages 19 and 20.
Her husband lives in a condo with his new girlfriend, which was recently purchased and she does not know who's name it is in. The funny part about this is my friend and her husband had a joint account with approx $20,000 in it. The money is no longer in the account, as he moved it to another account, the joint account was left overdrawn for about 3 weeks and was the closed by her husband.

He is also trying to lowball her on the house they currently own, she does not work as she was a stay at home mom and they have been married for 24 years and together for 28 years. He currently gives her 250 per week. They are not legally separated and are going to court. She has no attorney, he does, but she plans on getting one as soon as her mom is able to help her.

The house is in Riverside and the condo is in Rancho Cucamonga.

Are there lawyers who will take case like this if the wife does not have the ability to pay? Would this be considered contingent or consignment fees, if so would he have to pay for her attorney?

Her husband has a good job, drives a truck, is a teamster, so he has a good job, pension,401k and social security.

Last but not least, is if he used that twenty grand to purchase the house, would the condo be considered community property?

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Have her see an attorney TODAY. She needs a consultation, and most, if not all, Family law attorneys will give her a free initial consultation. The attorney will also inform her how her husband will be responsible for paying her attorney's fees.

He can't get away with hiding the money. He's a fool if he thinks so.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">