• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slander

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

helplz

What is the name of your state?Ohio

Fired for slander. "Employee made slanderous comments about company and posted it on the internet." NOTE: I never mentioned the companies name or any names of the people that work there. Would you get a lawyer?

rmet4nzkx

I looked at your other posts.

You have no case. They caught you slandering them on the internet!

You admit posting information on the internet, you don't have to name names although that makes it easier to prove, but you put enough on to identify you and or your employer and what ever you said was slanderous.

Learn a lesson.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If what you have in mind is suing your employer for what you think is wrongful termination, and using the fact that you did not name names as proof, don't bother. Ohio is an at will state; you can be fired for any reason that does not violate the law, and this doesn't. So regardless of whether you *actually* slandered them or not (and rmet4nzkx is correct that naming names is not necessarily required) you can still legally be fired. Based on the information in your post, you do not have a case.

H

helplz

Thanks for the replys, Iam gonna go anyhow tomorrow, will let you know what he says.

H

helplz

You guys are right, I had no case. Lawyer said I'm a at will employee and if the boss wanted to he could fire me for not liking my haircut. He said my boss is a retard, instead of firing me for Slander, he should of just said we are not doing enough business and we have to let you go.

rmet4nzkx

A. They fired you for slander, can you get unemployment? y/n
B. They lay you off because there is not enough business, you get unemployment.
C. They have proof you slandered them on the internet and they sue you, just to make an example.

Some of the possibilities

H

helplz

rmet4nzkx said:
A. They fired you for slander, can you get unemployment? y/n
B. They lay you off because there is not enough business, you get unemployment.
C. They have proof you slandered them on the internet and they sue you, just to make an example.

Some of the possibilities
I told the truth so it was not slander, and in my sitiuation it didn't fit into any of the whistle blower catagories.

Said I should be able to get unemployment since I never did slander them. He recommends writing a letter to them and explain it to them. If they do try to sue me, he says we got em. He mentioned they probaly used slander becuase I am the only one who gets fired, not the entire kitchen for breaking health code violations. Lesson learned, Dont drink and post :)

Last edited:

rmet4nzkx

OP original post 7-23-4
" Getting fired for talking Ohio ... I just got fired today becuase I was on a discussion forum and said I saw people serving food off the floor.Some people got pissed, I got pissed, told guy if I saw him in there I would serve him food off the floor. They found out were I worked and people have been calling my ex employer. Can I get into any type of trouble? I never said this is were I work."
and then:
"I told the truth so it was not slander, and in my sitiuation it didn't fit into any of the whistle blower catagories."

That's right, you are NOT a wistle blower!

You said that you would serve people off the floor. How does telling the truth about what YOU would do help you, since no one wants to eat off even the cleanest floor!

It is true that this employer does not employ people who say on the internet that they will serve people off the floor, proof, you got fired.

It's not whether the floor is dirty or if anyone else did or not do, if you stopped there it would not be slander and maybe you would be a wistle blower.

That is why you are not a wistle blower.

You got fired because you said you would feed somone off the floor and they could identify where you worked and called your employer. Get it!? It is what you said YOU would do.

Why would an employer want to keep an employee that admits on the internet that they would feed people off the floor? Who would want to eat there?

That you were drinking makes it worse......

"Said I should be able to get unemployment since I never did slander them." Then how did they catch you? You really think they are going to say they didn't fire you for cause, are you still drinking??

" He recommends writing a letter to them and explain it to them. If they do try to sue me, he says we got em."
And you have such a great case that he will take it pro bono, how much of a retainer will he need if he represents you?

" He mentioned they probaly used slander becuase I am the only one who gets fired, not the entire kitchen for breaking health code violations. Lesson learned, Dont drink and post"
If you see a health code violation report it the appropriately, do what you can to correct the problem and protect the public, don't get drunk go on the internet, make it obvious who your employer is and then say you would feed someone off the floor! No you didn't learn a lesson!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">