• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

when can someone be kicked out of thier home?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

ConfusedFather

What is the name of your state? CT

Hello there, I'm having problems looking up the legal age someone has to be in order for them to be "kicked" out of thier homes against thier will.
I'm curious becuase I know of a family in my area that is constantly tring to kick out thier 16 year old daughter. There have been several arguments that have made me wonder if i should call the cops or not just to keep them all safe from each other..

Also what is the legal age someone can leave thier home?

I've been having a hard time finding any info on this... :confused:

n_and

You are the only one who can make a judgement call as to whether or not the police should be called.

Connecticut is really tricky. The age of majority was raised to 18 in 2003, I know for certain. However, it is fairly easy to become emancipated in Connecticut at the age of 16. For a long time CT gave insane rights to 16 year olds, pretty much allowing any one over the age of 16 to be tried as an adult in crimes, parents could do nothing about them running away (children could do nothing about getting kicked out) This is something you should probably consult with an attorney or local police force about.

For example, 5 years ago a girl was kidnapped and taken into CT at the age of 16, where she was raped. CT charged the guy with as much as they could, but was not able to charge the man for kidnapping as she was 16. The neighboring state was able to charge him with kidnapping and taking a minor over the state border, but CT was not able too.

See what I mean? CT is tricky as far as the age of 'adulthood' is concerned. Seriously, it depends on how bad the situation is. Use your best judgement.

Good Luck.

JETX

ConfusedFather said:
What is the name of your state? CT

Hello there, I'm having problems looking up the legal age someone has to be in order for them to be "kicked" out of thier homes against thier will.
I'm curious becuase I know of a family in my area that is constantly tring to kick out thier 16 year old daughter. There have been several arguments that have made me wonder if i should call the cops or not just to keep them all safe from each other..

Also what is the legal age someone can leave thier home?

I've been having a hard time finding any info on this... :confused:
Actually, this is not complex at all.....
Connecticut law allows a person 16 years of age, or parents of a 16 year old, to become emancipated.
This is covered in the following CT statute:
"Sec. 46b-150. Emancipation of minor. Procedure.
Any minor who has reached such minor's sixteenth birthday and is residing in this state, or any parent or guardian of such minor, may petition the superior court for juvenile matters or the probate court for the district in which either the minor or the parents or guardian of such minor resides for a determination that the minor named in the petition be emancipated. The petition shall be verified and shall state plainly: (1) The facts which bring the minor within the jurisdiction of the court, (2) the name, date of birth, sex and residence of the minor, (3) the name and residence of the minor's parent, parents or guardian, and (4) the name of the petitioner and the petitioner's relationship to the minor. Upon the filing of the petition in the Superior Court, the court shall cause a summons to be issued to the minor and the minor's parent, parents or guardian, in the manner provided in section 46b-128. Service on an emancipation petition filed in the superior court for juvenile matters pursuant to this section shall not be required on the petitioning party. Upon the filing of the petition in the Probate Court, the court shall assign a time, not later than thirty days thereafter, and a place for hearing such petition. The court shall cause a citation and notice to be served on the minor and the minor's parent, if the parent is not the petitioner, at least seven days prior to the hearing date, by a state marshal, constable or indifferent person. The court shall direct notice by certified mail to the parent, if the parent is the petitioner. The court shall order such notice as it directs to the Commissioner of Children and Families, and other persons having an interest in the minor."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">