• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need a divorce!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

amyaflgirl

What is the name of your state? FL

Hi! I need help! I am wanting information about how I go about getting a divorce the most economic way possible. My situation is this:
I have been married for 7 years and have two minor children from the marriage. My husband has battled a drug addiction for the last fourteen years of which twelve I have lived through. I have tried so hard to help him get help but to no avail. After 9+ years of living together and being emotionally and, at times, physically abused, I am finally throwing in the towel. I have had enough and have realized that I cannot help him with this problem. He has time and time again used all of the money that has come into the house to support his habits, in addition to selling household items for money as well. My children have suffered tremendously as a result of this and I want a way out. I have no savings as a result of his spending and I am at a loss as to what to do. I also want him to leave the house so that I can be at peace, however, I have been told by the police that I cannot make him leave. What can I do? I feel helpless and a prisoner in my own home. Incidentaly, the house that we live in was purchased by myself and my parents, do I have anything in that respect that will help me? :(

Does he have a steady job ? Can he support himself if he lives on his own ? Who is the bread winner for the household? Granted, he uses most of the money for his addiction - but that's besides the point. If he is financially dependent on you, then he will most likely contest the divorce and make things very difficult for you.

If you want to divorce him the cheapest way possible, then you should be able to pick up a divorce kit from the local court house, and try to see if you can make him sign the papers (but I think you will need a notary). Maybe if you give him a deal he can't refuse, he will just sign it and that's that. But of course, he can back out of it later and cause more problems for you. When you are dealing with a drug addict, you can't trust anything that they say for too long.

But divorcing him is not the priority. You need to think about how to physically separate from him first - just so that you can have some peace of mind and balance back in your life. It's true, he can't be kicked out of the house. So you have to decide - to either leave and abandon the house - or -maybe sell the house and get rid of it and start your life over somewhere else where he doesn't know where you live. I just don't think he will be the one to volunteer to leave the house, especially if you tell him you want to divorce him.

This is going to be a long process, but the sooner you get the courage to take the first step, the sooner you will be able to come out a winner.

Maybe you will get lucky - he may get arrested for drug possession and be thrown into jail.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">