• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cheenaangel

What is the name of your state?
Florida; My husband went home to his country and left me to take care of everything. I did not know he was leaving until after the fact..How can I get a divorce when he is in another country and I have no idea where he is.
We've been married for 2 1/2 yrs and have no children or property together.
He has his credit cards and bills in his name only..Desperately seeking advice.

How long has he been gone? How do you know that he is not coming back ? What do you mean he left you to "take care of everything" ? Are you taking care of things that relates to him or do you mean just running your day-to-day household tasks ? Did you get married in this country or his ?

You don't have to know where your spouse is to file for a divorce. Are you here asking this question because you can't afford an attorney? Because if you have the money, it shouldn't be so difficult to get a divorce.

C

cheenaangel

Reply to BeenAround

He left me to deal with trying to get this divorce without even telling me he was leaving the country. He is not an American citizen and he went home with his new girlfriend who is the same culture as he and left me with all the financial burden. We are or were in the process of getting his green card and because he didn't have that he cannot re-enter the US..
We got married here in the US and no I cannot afford an attorney, if I could I wouldn't be looking for advice or some small amount of help.

OK - I understand your situation better now. Some people here still ask questions even when they have their own attorney, so I just wanted to know where you stood. You mentioned that his credit cards and bills are in his name only - so I am wondering why you may have a 'Financial burden' other than those that are your own. You don't have to pay for his bills. Basically, when you can't locate your spouse for filing a divorce, you have to give notice by annoucing it on newspapers and whatnot - in lieu of 'serving him' with your papers. So it's possible to get a divorce without knowing where your spouse is. Also, I believe after 7 years of living apart - or abandonment, you have cause to file for a divorce. Since this is not a straight forward divorce, it may be difficult to do it on your own, but there are some legal aide groups who may be able to help you cheaply..try going to the local court house to obtain the divorce documents for free and start from there... Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">