• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cobra Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wrw

What is the name of your state? New York
How long does my former employer have to notify me of Cobra Benefits and if he exceeds this time limit what is the best coarse of action to take?

lkc15507

Generally speaking, you should have 60 days after the latter of 1) the
coverage loss date with your employer or 2) the date of notification of coverage loss by the employer or plan administrator, in which to elect COBRA. Then, you should have 45 days to make the payment. This answer is general and more information would be appropriate. Please go to www.dol.gov and link to the COBRA information there. Best to you. lkc15507

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The employer has either 14 or 44 days after the last date of coverage/last day of employment, whichever is later, to provide you with information about your COBRA rights. Whether it is 14 or 44 days depends upon whether they self-administer their COBRA or use a third party administrator.

If he fails to provide information within this time frame, you may file a complaint with the Federal DOL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">