• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can Administrator (sibling) keep all property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

X

xcuzme

CA. Can the administrator (my sibling) keep all the personal property (several vehicles, electronic/photo/computer equipment) for themselves or are they required to divide it up? Father died with no will. Currently in probate. (Sibling has also continued to drive vehicles registered to my father only..is this legal?)

Dandy Don

Administrator may just be temporarily compiling an inventory to see what needs to be distributed. Give him/her time to distribute the property as the will instructs or maybe he/she intends to sell it and add the money to the estate. What could possibly be illegal about driving someone's car?

nextwife

xcuzme said:
Father died with no will.
Dandy Don said:
Give him/her time to distribute the property as the will instructs

There is no will.

Poster, why not ask your sib when they expect to have the estate inventory compiled? This will put them on notice that you are aware they are responsible to keep track of this.

X

xcuzme

nextwife said:
There is no will.

Poster, why not ask your sib when they expect to have the estate inventory compiled? This will put them on notice that you are aware they are responsible to keep track of this.
Well, this is part of the problem. We have asked. The attorneys office has requested an inventory list as well so that probate can be closed. Nothing has been delivered or according to the sib, compiled yet. Sibling is of the type that thinks if you ignore something long enough it will go away. A few expensive items have mysteriously vanished as well. Vehicles have been used without insurance which I would think leaves the estate open to liability issues if something were to happen. Sib has lived in our fathers house now for 8 months and is trying to keep his death hush hush from the mortgage company, at the advise of the attorney, so they don't start forclosure . (wouldn't the MTG co be informed when the death notice was published?) I think I would feel a lot better having my own attorney in their state to keep an eye on things for me, and I've started trying to locate one this week. The estate attorney also said that the estate money could NOT be used to pay off the mortgage, but that the house needed to be sold to pay for itself. Of course, sib wants to keep the house and can't afford or qualify for a home loan, so things are really being dragged around alot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">