• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

music on a website

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MollysMom

What is the name of your state? NJ

We run a website for an actress, for just fans, no financial gain. I downloaded instrumental music in a MIDI file from the web, and we want to use that music on our site. Is that permitted without violating copyright?

Thank you.

J

J. Michael

It is OK if you have permission. You probably don't want classical music, but here is a site where you might find some. Midis there have been mechanically generated from the music, and dedicated to the public domain: Mutopia Project

Or visit Lauras Midi Heaven where the emails for some midi artists are listed. Also there are artist contacts via: Classical Archives

For folk or ragtime, try: Barry Taylor and also Benjamin Tubbs

Of course, you can have modern music IF you have permission. Search for yourself via Google. Here is one possibility: Lynne Music

:)

BelizeBreeze

J. Michael said:
It is OK if you have permission. You probably don't want classical music, but here is a site where you might find some. Midis there have been mechanically generated from the music, and dedicated to the public domain: Mutopia Project

Or visit Lauras Midi Heaven where the emails for some midi artists are listed. Also there are artist contacts via: Classical Archives

For folk or ragtime, try: Barry Taylor and also Benjamin Tubbs

Of course, you can have modern music IF you have permission. Search for yourself via Google. Here is one possibility: Lynne Music

:)
You have got to be kidding. Re-read your post and then come back here with a modicum of intelligence and tell us both what the problem with it is.

I'll be waiting with baited breath (and a louisville slugger issued by ASCAP and BMI). :rolleyes:

J

J. Michael

You have got to be kidding. Re-read your post and then come back here with a modicum of intelligence and tell us both what the problem with it is.

I'll be waiting with baited breath (and a louisville slugger issued by ASCAP and BMI).
You don't know what the **** you are talking about. I offered the poster legal alternatives to what they want. If you knew what the **** you were taking about, you would know that it is perfectly legal to record your own tracks from public domain music. You don't need permission in the U.S. from ANYBODY. Nor is there a legal requirement to join ASCAP or BMI to publish your own compositions.

AND if that person who legally recorded the tracks offers them free to the public, or to the public with restrictions, that is PERFECTLY FRIGGIN' LEGAL. I have recorded (and published) tracks of public domain music myself. BMI and ASCAP have NOTHING to do with it. Either you misunderstand my comments or you misunderstand the law. I tried to help someone and all I got was **** :mad:

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

AND if that person who legally recorded the tracks offers them free to the public, or to the public with restrictions, that is PERFECTLY FRIGGIN' LEGAL.
And that is your problem. You are assuming a hell of a lot. First, how do you know the tracks were legally recorded with full copyright release and public performance release (which they would be required to have to be placed on the original website)?

Next, although simply putting a public domain (if in fact, it truly is) piece of music on a website is arguably not a violation, it depends entirely on the source of the recording. Many public domain pieces have been and continue to be recorded by artists and performers who DO have copyright restrictions on their performance. And any such recording of the performance and subsequent use of said recording is a clear violation of copyright usage.

Now, since you refuse to learn anything of substance in this or your other posts, let's take a look at the ORIGINAL language of this particular poster.

We run a website for an actress, for just fans, no financial gain. I downloaded instrumental music in a MIDI file from the web, and we want to use that music on our site. Is that permitted without violating copyright?
Nowhere in the ORIGINAL post did the writer say the 'performed' the work in question, recording their own performance and then posted the results of that endeavor on their website. In fact, there is no mention of the source of the original music composition, or the fact that it was or was not in the public domain.

Quite a leap you made there.

So, since we don't know the ORIGINAL source of the music, the existance (if any) or copyright releases nor do we even know if the prooffered midi file was itself in violation of copyright laws, your assumptions only serve to make you seem like an ass.

J

J. Michael

"Next, although simply putting a public domain (if in fact, it truly is) piece of music on a website is arguably not a violation,"
No argument about it. It is perfectly legal.

"Nowhere in the ORIGINAL post did the writer say the 'performed' the work in question, recording their own performance and then posted the results of that endeavor on their website. In fact, there is no mention of the source of the original music composition, or the fact that it was or was not in the public domain."
That's why I offered a few sites where the sequencer is publishing their own work, or sites that list the email address of the sequencer.

The sites I linked to in my reply either:

1. offer first hand sequences, free, or with some restrictions.

OR

2. give email addresses for the sequencers.

Please contact them if you need proof of who sequenced the material. And if you defame me again with the name-calling, maybe I should sue or complain to the admin. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
B

blameshifting

Michael, you offered some excellent links to MIDI music which the original poster can incorporate into her website without fear of baseball bat wielding BMI attorneys.

I don't think BelizeBreeze even knows what the nature of the MIDI files available on Mutopia is. They are generated automatically by a GNU Lilypad which reads musical scores and outputs MIDI files. The person who entered the musical score, from a public domain work, and used Lilypad to perform the translation to MIDI has provided Mutopia with an appropriate license, available from Mutopia, that permits the use of the MIDI file without payment.

Some people on freeadvice.com like to beat their chests. Don't let it bother you.

BelizeBreeze

And if you defame me again with the name-calling, maybe I should sue or complain to the admin.
You mean like calling you a dumbass little prick who can't find a girlfriend so he plays with his microphone.

Go for it bubba. And say hello to mary. I'm sure she would like to read this entire thread including the part here:
You don't know what the **** you are talking about. I offered the poster legal alternatives to what they want. If you knew what the **** you were taking about, you would know that it is perfectly legal to record your own tracks from public domain music. You don't need permission in the U.S. from ANYBODY. Nor is there a legal requirement to join ASCAP or BMI to publish your own compositions.

AND if that person who legally recorded the tracks offers them free to the public, or to the public with restrictions, that is PERFECTLY FRIGGIN' LEGAL. I have recorded (and published) tracks of public domain music myself. BMI and ASCAP have NOTHING to do with it. Either you misunderstand my comments or you misunderstand the law. I tried to help someone and all I got was ****

J

J. Michael

OK. You have characterized me as:

having a "modicum of intelligence"

"you seem like an ass"

"dumbass little prick"

"bubba"

And all I have said about you is: ****

MollysMom should disregard your advice entirely. I could make trouble for you but maybe this just isn't the forum for me, I have more important business than making you respond to legal action. I'd prefer a more civilized forum anyway. Bye ****.

JETX

J. Michael said:
OK. You have characterized me as:

having a "modicum of intelligence"

"you seem like an ass"

"dumbass little prick"

"bubba"

And all I have said about you is: ****

MollysMom should disregard your advice entirely. I could make trouble for you but maybe this just isn't the forum for me, I have more important business than making you respond to legal action. I'd prefer a more civilized forum anyway. Bye ****.
All that proves to me is that Breezy is able to figure out your basic nature.... and you can't on him. :D

BelizeBreeze

, I have more important business than making you respond to legal action
Well damn, I guess I don't have to keep checking in at the desk for that all elusive 'summons'.

By the way, just how in the hell did you expect to serve me unless it was eggs Florentine, weiss wurst with orange juice and chilled Perrier (no ice)?

Some people just don't ever get it. :rolleyes:

J

J. Michael

"All that proves to me is that Breezy is able to figure out your basic nature.... and you can't on him."

Wow. I'm amazed. In just a few anonymous posts, you both can figure me out. You should go into business together and open up a 1-800-Psychic-Idiot line. Better yet, tell me how to win the Lotto! You haven't gotta clue who you are talking to. If we were in a dark alley somewhere, I bet you wouldn't talk like that. ;) I also bet you are not a lawyer or even a law student. If you treat your clients (or even your opponents) like that, you won't do very well in the profession. 'Nuf said. :cool:

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">