• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

disability benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MollysMom

What is the name of your state?
NJ

I am currently collecting both Social Security benefits and Long Term disability benefits from my employer for a documented ongoing physical condition. My question is this: I am having serious financial problems, and some friends wish to help me out with finances until I am able to work again.

Can I receive the financial gift without jeopardizing my disability benefits? I think I can, since the only questions the govt or my employer ask are whether or not I am employed and receiving wages from a job. I'm not working, this would be a gift. Would accepting the gift mean I would lose my disability benefits?

Thank You.

Beth3

Can I receive the financial gift without jeopardizing my disability benefits? I am 99.99% certain that the answer is "yes." I'm reserving .01% simply because I haven't seen your LTD plan document but all of those I've seen over the years that have an integration* requirement only refer to SSDI.

*Integration means that the LTD benefit will be reduced if the claimaint becomes eligible for other disability income and almost always only mentions SSDI. So, if someone gifts you money or even if you had a private LTD policy, you'd continue to be eligible for the full benefit you're now receiving. I've never seen an LTD policy with an integration clause that mentions anything other than social security disability benefits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">