• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

gifts effecting my disability benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MollysMom

What is the name of your state?
NJ

I am currently collecting Social Security benefits for a serious medical illness that is chronic. I'm having serious financial problems, and a family friend wants to give me a gift of some money to help out. Can I accept the gift without getting my social security benefits taken away or reduced? I am not working, I am under medical care with a documented illness. This would be a financial gift, not a loan. Should I worry about accepting it, and having my disability benefits reduced?

Thank you.

Whyte Noise

If you're getting SSDI (Social Security Disability Income) then it doesn't matter. The only time it would, would be if you are receiving SSI (Supplemental Security Income) as that's an income and needs based program.

rmet4nzkx

Check with the SSA, there are limits of earned income and possibly "gifts" also there may be alternative means to distribute the gift so better to know what is allowed before than later, form the SSA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">