• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Altered license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

coryn

NEW YORK STATE

My girlfriend got pulled over for speeding, the cop saw another id in her purse and asked to see it. It was an old chalked license, so she got two tickets. I'm assuming she'll be charged with a class a misdimeanor for the id, but what is the penalty for that? Would it be wise of her to hire an attorney? Thanks.

You Are Guilty

As far as fake IDs go, if she showed her "legit" license to the officer already, she should never have taken it out. By doing so voluntarily, she loses her argument that it was found as a result of an illegal search (Note: I am not saying this was an illegal search, in fact, it sounds legit, but nonethelss, she does lose the defense).

Anyway, without knowing exactly what she was charged with, it's impossible to say what the penalty is. Typically, this would fall under 'possession of a forged instrument', but even then the penalties range from a class-A misdemeanor to a class-D felony. (See, NY CPL s. 170.20, et. seq.) While it's always wise to hire an attorney, it's especially a good idea here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">