• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

step-parent adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rainbow

I have a son who is now 13.The biological father saw him maybe 5 times between ages 3mo-2yr. When my son was 2, I started dating my husband whom I am still happily married to.Shortly after we were married we leagaly changed my sons name to my husbands name with no contest from the biologicaly father. My son has grown up thinking his dad( my husband ) was his biological father, we told him everthing about it last week. Now my husband wants to adopt him and my son wants him too. Is this going to be a difficult thing to do? what does it involve?

MySonsMom

This should be very easy to do. You will need an attorney. First, they will file the papers, and serve the bio dad. If he doesn't contest to the adoption, you go to court and have your hubby adopt. If he contests, he will show up in court and tell the judge his side, why he doesn't want the adoption to proceed, he hasn't been in the childs life for years so his chances of stopping the adoption are slim. If you don't know where the man is, most likely what you will have to do is run an ad in the newspaper where he was living the last you knew and advertise that if he doesn't respond that the child will be adopted. You have a GREAT case and I don't foresee any problems...Get the ball rolling, get this childs FATHER to adopt her, and live happily ever after. Good luck to you and your wonderful family..I love posts like this! :)

------------------
*There is no love, like the unconditional love of a Mother*

-I am not an Attorney, any advice given is strictly advice-

M

mommyof3

I have a question, because my situation is kind of like yours. When your child was born did you give him his father's last name?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">