• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veronica1228

What is the name of your state?Wisconsin

Can FMLA be used for self, spouse, and dependants only or can if be used for parents as well? My mother is diabetic and we just found out today they may need to amputate her leg. I live with her and assist her w/ daily needs when I am not at work, but with this new possibility I'm not sure how we are going to be able to handle this. I may need some time off to adjust and help her to adjust. I've been with my company for over 7 years, but have already used up my vacation time for the year (company policy prohibits using sick time unless I, myself am sick). It is also a very large corporation w/ thousands of employees. Please advise.

Beth3

The FMLA does allow an employee to take leave time to care for a parent (or someone who stood "in loco parentis") who has a "serious health condition" when the employee is needed to provide medically necessary care.

Go to your HR/benefits department, explain your situation, and ask for FMLA certification paperwork to have your mother's doctor complete.

Veronica1228

Thank you very much for your quick response. I will do what you said as soon as we find out for sure what the doctor plans to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">