• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

accused of cash theft at workplace.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

whattodo777

What is the name of your state? VA

Hi all. I am 20 years old and was accused of taking at least $60 and possibly more from the cash drawer at work. The way they said i did it was:

When a customer comes in we write up a ticket for them stating what work needs to be done.

when they get cashed out it prints out an invoice.

you can cancel specific things in the order or the whole order but if you do it will show up in a computer generated report of what you have done.

they also called the customer and asked how she had paid, she said cash. (they may call other customers)

they said that i took the cash from the drawer and closed the ticket to make it look like nothing ever was done.

they may find other cancelled work orders and accuse me of doing it other times too.

Two things:
#1 the cash drawer is locked with a padlock which everyone who works there knows the key is or sometimes its in the lock.

#2 i have been working there for 1.5 years and everyone there knows i wouldnt do it.

I dont have a lawyer yet. when i went into work the other day the police questioned my superiors and took my name and address. They did say the wanted to file charges against me to the police but they didnt arrest me. One of my superiors told me that they would run an audit and call me in a few days.

Question:
How would this case hold up in court? This is my first offence ever, if conviced what would my likely sentance be? If they do decide to press charges would the police come and get me at my house or would they send me a letter in the mail telling me to come in to court? I am new at this so any help is much needed. thanks!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">