• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father back in school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

srider

What is the name of your state?LA

My ex-husband was laid off 2 years ago and has been going back to school without working and having his wife support him and their family. I agreed to reduce the child support from our court order (from $425.00 to $350.00). This past April, he informed me that he was reducing it by an additional $100.00 b/c it's too hard.
His wife is a RN, they have one child, and a new one to be born this month. Our son has been attending a private school (previously with his father's approval and support for the past 5 years) plus we just had braces put on... another $124. a month bill. I asked why couldn't he get a part time job to make up the $100. difference. He says NO!

Should I take him back to court to enforce the court order, or do I risk a reduction? :confused:
Should I be thankful that he at least is paying something?

rmet4nzkx

He is responsible for your child's support not his current wife, if he is going to school, his child should not suffer because he isn't working so there should not have been a reduction in C/S as it was, that is where that leads to, more reductions. Is he planning on making up for it when he goes back to work? If anything more is needed now because of the braces which were most likely anticipated. Now he is having more children that he cannot afford?

Many people manage to go to school and work full time, I worked full time and went to HS (35 hrs a week) and earned BA, MA & PhD all while working full time. He should be able to at least work part time, but you will have to take him to court to get a modification upwards, then he will have to go to work.

S

srider

Oh, I totally agree with him being able to work. (I'm a teacher and I tutor privately after school 4 days a week for 2 hours. I also attend grad school in the summer.)

Trust me he can work...his wife only works as an RN on the weekends...so he's not even having to help out with taking care of the children during the week. (Just attending school, working out, and playing golf.)
He doesn't want to work! And he believes that a court would side with him b/c he was laid off and is going to school. He almost dared me to take him back.
I doubt that he intends on making up anything. He still wants to claim him this year. We normally rotate years.

Do the courts normally sympathize with a Parent (dad) b/c they aren't working and are attending school? I wouldn't want to take him to court and my son end up getting less than the $250. That doesn't even cover school for the month much less feed a 15 year old boy.
If that's the case wouldn't all paying parents just not work?

BelizeBreeze

srider said:
Oh, I totally agree with him being able to work. (I'm a teacher and I tutor privately after school 4 days a week for 2 hours. I also attend grad school in the summer.)

Trust me he can work...his wife only works as an RN on the weekends...so he's not even having to help out with taking care of the children during the week. (Just attending school, working out, and playing golf.)
He doesn't want to work! And he believes that a court would side with him b/c he was laid off and is going to school. He almost dared me to take him back.
I doubt that he intends on making up anything. He still wants to claim him this year. We normally rotate years.

Do the courts normally sympathize with a Parent (dad) b/c they aren't working and are attending school? I wouldn't want to take him to court and my son end up getting less than the $250. That doesn't even cover school for the month much less feed a 15 year old boy.
If that's the case wouldn't all paying parents just not work?
Take his lazy ass back to court. It was his choice not to look for another job. Any judge who isn't stoned or drunk will tell him the same thing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">