• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do Siblings' have Rights????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dustijane

What is the name of your state?undefinedWhat is the name of your state? California!
This post does not exactly pertain to grandparents' rights, but to a brohter's rights to his siblings. Here's the story...my stepson is 8 years old, and has lived with us for almost three years. His bio mom had two other children, ages 1 and 3. In Dec of 2003, the boys were taken from the mom b/c of drug and abuse situation. Since that time, the boys have been placed in perm foster homes with a couple that is in the processing of adopting them. I called the social worker to arrange for visitation with my stepson and his brothers, and a meeting was set up. However, they never showed up and a later call informed me that because the boys will be adopted soon, it is not a good idea to visit because once they are adopted, my stepson is no longer legally related to them, and the adoptive parents do not want any visitation. So, can anything be done to protect my stepson's rights to visit his brothers? It seems so unfair to me that because his mom messed up and gave up, that he should have to suffer the consequences as well. He did have a boine with the older boy, he had lived with him for a few months and saw him at weekly visits. Unfortunately, this situation is, I feel, hurting my stepson, who has had his brothers ripped from his life, and hurting the boys, because they will not be given the opportunity to know their brother. ANY ADVICE OUT THERE? I cold really use it, Thanks!

BelizeBreeze

Unfortunately, your stepson has no rights to visitation. When the children are adopted, he will also not legally have any siblings.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Unfortunately, as BB said, your ss has no rights here. The best thing you might be able to do is have the case worker place his information in the file should the adoptive parents even change their minds and/or the younger boys at some point want to search for bio-relatives.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">