• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car towed for parking tickets: Seattle, WA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lyunardo

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Washington

My car was towed, and I know it was for unpaid parking tickets. The spot it was towed from is a residential street with no parking restrictions at all. The problem is, I don't know the license number, the car hasn't been registered in my name yet, the bill of sale AND the pink slip are in the car.
Other than telling how stupid I am, can someone tell me at least where to begin getting my car back? Who do I contact first?

Thanks,

You Are Guilty

FYI and for future reference, once the unpaid tickets reach a certain amount (here in NYC its $240), your car can be towed at any time from any public street, no matter if it's parked legally or not.

I'd call the PD to find out where it is, the sooner, the better. It's incurring storage charges as you read this. Better hurry!

racer72

You Are Guilty said:
FYI and for future reference, once the unpaid tickets reach a certain amount (here in NYC its $240), your car can be towed at any time from any public street, no matter if it's parked legally or not.

I'd call the PD to find out where it is, the sooner, the better. It's incurring storage charges as you read this. Better hurry!
In Seattle, it's $400.

You Are Guilty

FIVE?? Jeez, that's a license to illegally park!

Technically, it's "at least 2 tickets totalling $240 or more", but with what ticket prices are here, you can hit that total in one ticket. I think the state surcharge is up to $55 these days. That's more than some of the fines for the minor violations! (sigh)

CdwJava

Maybe it's because our parking cites tend to be pretty small ... in my city, 5 tickets would probably be $135 - but might be as high as $285 ... but that may vary depending on the actual violation. Other than parking in a handicapped zone which is $257, the most common fines in my city are $27 and $57.

So a dollar amount might take a while to add up.

But, I can only recall towing two cars for this in my career - and they were along the beach in southern CA some 6 or 7 years ago or so.

Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">