• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Destroying Fence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dubby46

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Commonwealth of Virginia.

My neighbor, excuse me, the no-speak-person-who-lives-next-door has piled yard debris between the two fences that divide our properties. The fences are parallel with a space of one foot between them. My fence is a six foot high wood fence. The four foot high debris harbors mosquitoes and critters and the retained moisture is causing permanent damage to my "treated" fence. Any suggestions to solve this problem, legal or otherwise?

D

dubby46

I went to the Law Library and researched the City Codes, and yes, it looks like they're in violation. My homeowners' insurance agent said to send them notice that it constitutes personal property damage. The police said that it was out of their jurisdiction. The Code Enforcement types (a.k.a. the "Beauty Police" ) were not helpful. It's out of my sight and not causing damage to my house. I'll call the Health Department this morning and let you know how that goes. I'm wondering what the neighbor will do this time to retaliate. The last time I complained, he called the Fire Department when I was cooking on my Weber grill. I ended up serving dinner to the crew of Engine Co. 7.

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

dubby46 said:
I went to the Law Library and researched the City Codes, and yes, it looks like they're in violation. My homeowners' insurance agent said to send them notice that it constitutes personal property damage. The police said that it was out of their jurisdiction. The Code Enforcement types (a.k.a. the "Beauty Police" ) were not helpful. It's out of my sight and not causing damage to my house. I'll call the Health Department this morning and let you know how that goes. I'm wondering what the neighbor will do this time to retaliate. The last time I complained, he called the Fire Department when I was cooking on my Weber grill. I ended up serving dinner to the crew of Engine Co. 7.
If you don't get any satisfaction there, then remove the debris and sue their asses in small claims court for the cost of the removal. If you have to, get the city health inspector out there to file a report and have the fence surveyed for damages.

D

dubby46

Thanks, BB. After reading your posts/replies, it seems you always have the same answer. I love it. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">