• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Asbestos

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SweetChild09

TX; Over a month ago me ceiling fell in in my apartment due to rain water comming through the roof. I had been telling the complex since February that there was water comming through the ceiling through the kitchen light fixture and they didn't do anything about it. On 6/1/04 the management company changed hands, but the community was unaware for almost another month of the change. I was calling everyday to get the hole fixed and I didn't find out untill 6/13/04 when they told me to come in and fill out a written request for the leak (I had already filled out several and they told me at that point that they were a new company and that they didn't have any of the paperwork from the other mgmt. co.) So I went in and filled that out on 6/13/04. They still didn't even come to check out the issue. On 6/25/04 the ceiling in the living room fell in and they had their maintenance men come out and pick up the insulation. They didn't tell us that we would have to leave the unit. A few weeks later, on 7/9/04 I found out that we might have asbestos in the ceiling from the previous mgmt. company's mainenance guy. The next day I called the health dapt and they came out to take samples. On 7/22/04 I spoke with the head of the asbestos dept and he told me that we had 2% in the ceilings. That following Monday I spoke with another guy at the health dept (the guy who took the samples) and he told me that they sent him asbestos survey stating they had between 2% and 7% asbestos in the ceilings that they tested, back in 1992 (I think that was the year). The Apartment personnel will not work with us at all. I was trying to get another place to stay for a month befor they finally gave into giving us the model apartment. We had no other choice but to stay in that apartment till I found out about the asbestos. After it was confirmed we were staying in my vehicle on the street. I am still trying to work with the manager, but she won't return my calls and skips apointments with me. I'm not sure what to do about this. I have tried seaking legal help about this and several attorneys declined to take the case.

dequeendistress

Try contacting the EPA by calling this number:

EPA's Asbestos Hotline: 1-800-471-7127
The EPA-Dallas Public Information Center: 1-800-887-6063, toll-free for residents of Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas.

Property owners may be liable for tenant health problems caused by exposure to environmental hazards, such as asbestos. Regulations issued by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) set strict standards for the testing, maintenance and disclosure of asbestos in buildings constructed before 1981. For information call the nearest OSHA office or check OSHA's website at http://www.osha.gov

Last edited:
SweetChild09 said:
TX; Over a month ago me ceiling fell in in my apartment due to rain water comming through the roof. I had been telling the complex since February that there was water comming through the ceiling through the kitchen light fixture and they didn't do anything about it. On 6/1/04 the management company changed hands, but the community was unaware for almost another month of the change. I was calling everyday to get the hole fixed and I didn't find out untill 6/13/04 when they told me to come in and fill out a written request for the leak (I had already filled out several and they told me at that point that they were a new company and that they didn't have any of the paperwork from the other mgmt. co.) So I went in and filled that out on 6/13/04. They still didn't even come to check out the issue. On 6/25/04 the ceiling in the living room fell in and they had their maintenance men come out and pick up the insulation. They didn't tell us that we would have to leave the unit. A few weeks later, on 7/9/04 I found out that we might have asbestos in the ceiling from the previous mgmt. company's mainenance guy. The next day I called the health dapt and they came out to take samples. On 7/22/04 I spoke with the head of the asbestos dept and he told me that we had 2% in the ceilings. That following Monday I spoke with another guy at the health dept (the guy who took the samples) and he told me that they sent him asbestos survey stating they had between 2% and 7% asbestos in the ceilings that they tested, back in 1992 (I think that was the year). The Apartment personnel will not work with us at all. I was trying to get another place to stay for a month befor they finally gave into giving us the model apartment. We had no other choice but to stay in that apartment till I found out about the asbestos. After it was confirmed we were staying in my vehicle on the street. I am still trying to work with the manager, but she won't return my calls and skips apointments with me. I'm not sure what to do about this. I have tried seaking legal help about this and several attorneys declined to take the case.
Hate to tell you, but there is asbestos in a lot of flooring, shingles, ceiling tiles, etc., in many, many buildings and homes. And, guess what? It's not dangerous. The presence of asbestos isn't automatically dangerous. For example, those mechanics who worked on brakes on a regular basis, using a grinder, kicking up asbestos dust from the brakes, they have a problem. It's only when tiny, minute asbestos particles become airborn and are breathed into the lungs does it become dangerous.

You are in far more danger if you smoke. Hopefully you don't do that.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">