• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bungled Title Transfer: What to do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JLOVE63

I am in Dallas Texas.

I sold a vehicle to a 2nd party and signed over the title to him. I have proof of sale including (1) a photocopy of his check and (2) a bill of sale signed by both me and him.

He in turn sold the vehicle to a 3rd party, who failed to properly transfer the title. Now, I'm receiving letters from the Transit Authority dunning me for drivethrough fines on the toll way.

Questions:

1. What can I do to force them to properly transfer the title?

2. In the event that transfer does not occur within a reasonable period of time what are my legal options?

Thanks.

BL

Send them proof it was sold , and state you signed a transfer of title and what date .

JETX

The CORRECT answer is:
"Contact the county tax office or VTR Regional Office and fill out the Motor Vehicle Transfer Notification (Form VTR-346). Or write a letter to: Texas Department of Transportation, Vehicle Titles and Registration Division, Attention: Vehicle Data Management Branch, Austin, TX 78779-0001. The letter must provide the vehicle description (year, make, VIN), date of sale, and purchaser’s name and address. Upon receipt of the fee and the form or letter, they will place a notation on the motor vehicle record indicating that the vehicle has been transferred. The fee for this service is $5. Checks or money orders should be made payable to the Texas Department of Transportation."
And the form can be downloaded from: ftp://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/vtr/forms/vtr-346.pdf

S

spammenot

JETX said:
The CORRECT answer is:
"Contact the county tax office or VTR Regional Office and fill out the Motor Vehicle Transfer Notification (Form VTR-346). Or write a letter to: Texas Department of Transportation, Vehicle Titles and Registration Division, Attention: Vehicle Data Management Branch, Austin, TX 78779-0001. The letter must provide the vehicle description (year, make, VIN), date of sale, and purchaser’s name and address. Upon receipt of the fee and the form or letter, they will place a notation on the motor vehicle record indicating that the vehicle has been transferred. The fee for this service is $5. Checks or money orders should be made payable to the Texas Department of Transportation."
And the form can be downloaded from: ftp://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/vtr/forms/vtr-346.pdf
Maybe JLOVE63 will have more luck with those forms that I have had.
I have sold two cars in Texas and immediately filled out those forms and sent the check for $5 with them to Austin to prevent those sorts of problems occurring.
One of the cars I sold was abandonded and impounded a few months later when I started getting certified letters on the car from the law enforcement agency that had the car impounded.
I pointed out that I had filled out the forms and sent them to the proper Texas agency that I had sold the car, and the response I got was something like 'You are still the registered owner and are legally responsible, and we do not care who you say you sold your car to.'

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">