• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bigchill

What is the name of your state? Minnesota
My wife and I have deciced to get a divorce, I talked to an Attourney and he said all we had was the equity in the house and my wifes 401K. Today she recieved a check made out to her from her 401k for $5000.00 that is almost half of what was in the account. Can I deposit this check in my account as my half of the 401K?

The check is made out to your wife. Unless you have a joint account with your wife, and she endorses the check and hands it to you, you can't deposit her check to your own personal account without her endorsement.

Your lawyer said you may have a shot at her 401K, but nothing is set in stone until the judge makes the final decision and declare you two - officially divorced.

Now - I have a kicker for you - do you know if you were named as a beneficiary on your wife's 401K? Some company has a stipulation where you can't touch your own 401K money unless your spouse also consents to it in writing....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">