• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to Fire Attorney when contingency contract signed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dunwoody_33

What is the name of your state? California

I am disappointed with the amount of time my attorney is putting into my case. I signed a contingnecy agreement to pay 40% if I win my case.

If i want to cancel the contingency agreement, typically how can this be done... Do attorneys typically bill their client for the hours and cost worked?

I would prefer to do this.

or can they still try to claim a portion or percentage of my award if i win my case?

You Are Guilty

dunwoody_33 said:
If i want to cancel the contingency agreement, typically how can this be done... Do attorneys typically bill their client for the hours and cost worked?
DING DING DING DING!

Usually, they'll just put a lien on your case in the event you ever do collect (either verdict or settlement). If you offer to pay cash before then, I am sure they will be thrilled to bill you immediately though.

But I'd really scrutinize the itemized bill they send - I'm sure you'll find plenty of work that "magically" appeared.

dunwoody_33

CAN they insist on getting 40% and not accept pay for hours worked?

i dont mind paying for the hours worked.... it wasnt much..... BUT can they refuse to accept an hourly rate for the hours they worked....AND INSIST on 40% or some % of any award i make?

You Are Guilty

dunwoody_33 said:
i dont mind paying for the hours worked.... it wasnt much..... BUT can they refuse to accept an hourly rate for the hours they worked....AND INSIST on 40% or some % of any award i make?
Nope. But the hourly fee can technically be upped a little, but it still needs to be based in reality, so make double check to see if documents drafted or letters written actually exist (ie get copies).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">