• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

THEFT BY CONVERSION (misdemeanor)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Dafilmmaker

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? GEORGIA

Is this criminal? Or is it civil?

I worked on an Independent film from top to bottom. I was owed money for the services provided and worked out a settlement with the complainant that was never fulfilled. Complainant called requesting pick up of RAW FOOTAGE tapes from post production house. With complainant’s permission, I picked up tapes and signed off on them. I received a message days later from complainants son to get tapes. With start of new film production, became too busy to return call or call about settlement delay, 2 weeks went by before receiving another call. Complainant demanded return of tapes. I said no problem, but I was busy with new film production, would have to meet the next day. Complainant called 3 TIMES that day with vague violence threats to me and a death threat to a close third party (these were recorded). I received call from the SON the next day and told him that I didn't feel comfortable meeting with them and to please mail remaining payment so I can mail them the tapes to amicably severe our ties to one another. Days later, I was arrested for misdemeanor Theft By Conversion. First offense. Complainant told State Solicitor that he doesn't me payment, that I stole the tapes and I'm refusing to return them. Payment remaining equals a little over $5,000. We have the film producer as witness to payment info, as well as vague contract documentation.

Our contracts are very vague with some things "written into" the document. I did not record conversations I had with complainant regarding payment owed or settlement made. I didn't pay for the tapes or salaries to the individuals I hired for the film. But the work I did is directly linked to what is on the tapes. I had no intention of holding the tapes until I got the threats from Complainant. Threats on tapes are vague and death threat was directed towards me through a third-party that is my friend. I was offered a dismissal by arresting officer days before arrest to surrender Tapes to here for warrant to be canceled. Before my lawyer friend could find out if call was legit, I was arrested. State Solicitor offered me a dismissal if I surrendered tapes to her to give to complainant. I chose to present my case to a judge instead to determine if anything I did or have done was a crime that warranted an arrest.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Dafilmmaker said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? GEORGIA

Is this criminal? Or is it civil?

I worked on an Independent film from top to bottom. I was owed money for the services provided and worked out a settlement with the complainant that was never fulfilled. Complainant called requesting pick up of RAW FOOTAGE tapes from post production house. With complainant’s permission, I picked up tapes and signed off on them. I received a message days later from complainants son to get tapes. With start of new film production, became too busy to return call or call about settlement delay, 2 weeks went by before receiving another call. Complainant demanded return of tapes. I said no problem, but I was busy with new film production, would have to meet the next day. Complainant called 3 TIMES that day with vague violence threats to me and a death threat to a close third party (these were recorded). I received call from the SON the next day and told him that I didn't feel comfortable meeting with them and to please mail remaining payment so I can mail them the tapes to amicably severe our ties to one another. Days later, I was arrested for misdemeanor Theft By Conversion. First offense. Complainant told State Solicitor that he doesn't me payment, that I stole the tapes and I'm refusing to return them. Payment remaining equals a little over $5,000. We have the film producer as witness to payment info, as well as vague contract documentation.

Our contracts are very vague with some things "written into" the document. I did not record conversations I had with complainant regarding payment owed or settlement made. I didn't pay for the tapes or salaries to the individuals I hired for the film. But the work I did is directly linked to what is on the tapes. I had no intention of holding the tapes until I got the threats from Complainant. Threats on tapes are vague and death threat was directed towards me through a third-party that is my friend. I was offered a dismissal by arresting officer days before arrest to surrender Tapes to here for warrant to be canceled. Before my lawyer friend could find out if call was legit, I was arrested. State Solicitor offered me a dismissal if I surrendered tapes to her to give to complainant. I chose to present my case to a judge instead to determine if anything I did or have done was a crime that warranted an arrest.

My response:

Is this criminal? Or is it civil? It's both. Criminal from a theft standpoint, and Civil from a damages standpoint. I don't buy your story, just like the DA doesn't buy your story. I'd take the offer if I were you.

By the way, are they still filming the "Dukes of Hazard" or was this a new film, having to do with the massacre at the trailer park?

IAAL

D

Dafilmmaker

I'm told that maybe a reason why everyone's so quick to dismiss the case is because it's a weak, trumped-up charge in the first place.

I'm also to told that these tapes fall under "work product" and generally when production companies/studios don't get paid, they hold on to masters, tapes, film and/or footage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">