• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Payback vacation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mitgonefishin

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma. On April 6th, 2004 I was terminated for telling an employee to call another manager to unlock the receiving doors. The employee didn't like they way I said it and complained to the GM and I was fired. I had been with this company for 9 yrs., the GM had only been a GM for 6 months and 10yrs younger. I did not want to loose the 9 yrs or profit sharing so after a long discussion, the GM told me that I could step down from my management position and transfer to another store as a hourly associate with the permision of the other store's GM and since I had been with the company for 9 years I would be paid for my three weeks vacation. There were only 2 stores within 100 miles of my house. The first GM I called told me that he had been call by my GM and was told I was a disgruntled employee and the only way I could transfer was to move my family to that city. Since I own my house, moving and paying rent & reducing my income by 2/3'rds, I did not go! I was paid my vacaton pay via direct deposit. Yesterday I received a letter from the home office telling me that I have been overpaid $2,200.00 and must reimburse the company. Should I fight this or get screwed even more????
I am still unemployed.
Thank you for your advice.
Gonefishin!?!

Beth3

1. What is your current status? Has your employment been terminated?

2. Is $2,200 the correct value of the three weeks of vacation they agreed to pay you or were you paid the vacation and the $2,200 is an excess payment???

thelizzy

I have a feeling there is more than you are telling us.
True, an employer can tell you at any time that you are being transferred or your employment is terminated for no reason, but after 9 years of what you say is otherwise exemplary service (correct?) this seems like there was something else going on. Had you had any problems prior to this happening?

M

Mitgonefishin

Payback Vacation

Beth3 said:
1. What is your current status? Has your employment been terminated?

2. Is $2,200 the correct value of the three weeks of vacation they agreed to pay you or were you paid the vacation and the $2,200 is an excess payment???

1. My employment was terminated and I am still unemployed.
2. The correct value of 3 wks vacation is $1,234.73. The excess amount would be $1,003.01.
3. They want the total amount paid back ($2,237.74).
Thanks for your response.

M

Mitgonefishin

thelizzy said:
I have a feeling there is more than you are telling us.
True, an employer can tell you at any time that you are being transferred or your employment is terminated for no reason, but after 9 years of what you say is otherwise exemplary service (correct?) this seems like there was something else going on. Had you had any problems prior to this happening?
There was a major conflict of personalities between the GM and myself. This started after I caught him lying and confronted him about it. I'm sure his ego was bruised. The area I was responsible for was leading the region (10 other stores) in increases. This was the only way he could get me out of the building. I'm sure I was "set up" but I can't prove it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">