• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deliquecing Parental Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

stepmom03

Oregon- Husband and ex girlfriend finished mediation. Neither of the parties have been represented by an attorney. Agreement was drawn, court orders both my husband and his ex girlfriend to attend a parenting class. The class is now required for any mediation and is a court order to attend. Well my husband attended the class as the ex girlfriend did not. Now the judge won't sign the final order because she never took the class. The judge told us that we would have to hire an attorney and have the ex girlfriends parental rights delinguesed. Does that mean that she will loose all her parental rights? That would seem so harsh. Or is the delinqueshment of parental rights just so that the judge will sign the final agreement without the ex having followed the court order? Does this take a long procedure to file, as we don't have a lot of money and have yet to find a lawyer that will help us file these papers.

Thank you for any help/explanation.

MySonsMom

No, she cannot have her rights relinguished because she didn't attend the parenting class. She can however be held in contempt for not following a judges order. I suggest you retain an attorney to figure this out..Getting divorced with no attorneys only works if BOTH parties cooperate....She is not so you have no choice if your boyfriend wants to get this over with. Good luck!

------------------
*There is no love, like the unconditional love of a Mother*

-I am not an Attorney, any advice given is strictly advice-

S

stepmom03

They were never married. Only sleeping together basically. We are now married and have been for 2 years. I have been around the child since he was 1. They were just going through custody, in no way going through divorce. Sorry, I get defensive when people think they were married.

Thank you for clearing up the difference or me.

MySonsMom

I'm sorry, I know how you feel. My husband has custody of his son, was never married to the bio mother, and a lot of people refer to her as his x wife...I always say.."um, they were never marriend". So I know how you feel. But anyway, doing legal things without attorneys only works if both cooperate. If she is not cooperating, you will have to retain an attorney. Good luck!

------------------
*There is no love, like the unconditional love of a Mother*

-I am not an Attorney, any advice given is strictly advice-

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">