• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Lease and what it means to me.......

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sexychickadee

What is the name of your state?Pennsylvania: Myself and my EX-fiance are on a year lease.He left three days before Augusts rent was due.I do not have any money for the rent,I am on disability.I am also friendly with the landlord,whom lives below me.Am I still responsible for the whole amount of rent even though I am not the only owner on the lease? How to I tell the landlord I do not have the rent? Is it all going to fall on me? He also owes the landlord $400.00 for breaking down the front door. He did not pay.....and he did not pay the rent at all the whole six months we lived here.I used my disability to pay the $500.00 rent for 6 months. Now I am not recieving anything and I do not have the rent and he skipped out on me. What should I do...and please do not say take it to court because I can not afford it. If I could afford court, I would pay the rent and forget about him leaving.But I cannot do either...please help...and please try not to be sarcastic with your replies....I've seen the history of BelizeBreeze replies and they are all sarcastic and demeaning to others....calling people idiots and morons.....not everyone is so "brilliant" so please do not down me or any others that have no "law sense"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Trails

Go to the top where your "search" button is and type in "PA Small claims". I think if you are looking for any recourse start there. Other than that, maybe you can bring in a roommate to help pick up some of the rent.

S

sexychickadee

Thank you Happy Trails.

Thanks for directing me in a nice easy manner.Was that so difficult?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

So, what is Small Claims court going to do for our writer?

She's already late on the August rent, or will be very shortly. By the time she gets her Small Claims court date, she will have already been evicted.

Plus, who's she going to sue in Small Claims court? The boyfriend? Why? He's not on the lease, and she never charged him for rent before. A court is not going to undo a cohabitation relationship that didn't have a written agreement between the two of them. Courts deal with "married" problems.

IAAL

Happy Trails

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

So, what is Small Claims court going to do for our writer?

She's already late on the August rent, or will be very shortly. By the time she gets her Small Claims court date, she will have already been evicted.

Plus, who's she going to sue in Small Claims court? The boyfriend? Why? He's not on the lease, and she never charged him for rent before. A court is not going to undo a cohabitation relationship that didn't have a written agreement between the two of them. Courts deal with "married" problems.

IAAL
**Yes, I agree the courts do not like "cohabitation cases". But I'm under the understanding he is on the lease.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Happy Trails said:
**Yes, I agree the courts do not like "cohabitation cases". But I'm under the understanding he is on the lease.

My response:

You're right, I just re-read her post. However, she has no "standing" to sue him. The lease is between the landlord and these parties - - not the parties to each other. The landlord has the right to collect the rent from one, the other, or both. It looks like "tag, she's it".

IAAL

Happy Trails

QUOTE:
My response:

You're right, I just re-read her post. However, she has no "standing" to sue him. The lease is between the landlord and these parties - - not the parties to each other. The landlord has the right to collect the rent from one, the other, or both. It looks like "tag, she's it".

**Really? Is that a PA law? I have seen roommates sue other roommates for breaking their lease. The roommate has to make an attempt to get another. But it was on "Judge Judy".

BL

You say you are on disability. Then you say you have used it up and now cannot pay the rent .

You should be getting monthly checks . 500 per month for one person is a little too much. Save your money , and find another, cheaper apt. ,or get an other room mate real quick .

If you can't get another room mate quickly, obviously your landlord will require you to move.

Call your local SSI worker . If you find a cheaper apt. they will have to pay for movers to move you. This might be your best bet, to keep a roof over yourself.

Your landlord now won't be to happy, but he'll have to take it to court to evict you. If you find another place now, and explain , he might not hassle you if in the meantime.

Don't get suckered again .

S

sexychickadee

HIS name IS on the lease!!!

PA: His name is on the lease as well as mine. That makes it a joint thing...and I know it takes a while in small claims.

S

sexychickadee

yes..it is much...but......

Blonde Lebinese said:
You say you are on disability. Then you say you have used it up and now cannot pay the rent .

You should be getting monthly checks . 500 per month for one person is a little too much. Save your money , and find another, cheaper apt. ,or get an other room mate real quick .

If you can't get another room mate quickly, obviously your landlord will require you to move.

Call your local SSI worker . If you find a cheaper apt. they will have to pay for movers to move you. This might be your best bet, to keep a roof over yourself.

Your landlord now won't be to happy, but he'll have to take it to court to evict you. If you find another place now, and explain , he might not hassle you if in the meantime.

Don't get suckered again .
Thank you. But,I was constantly hassling him to get a job,that I could not handle the rent on my own.He took so long[5mths to be exact]to get a job, that I was FORCED to get a job to makethe payments on bills and what have you. Then,he finally got a job,and I quit.Then,SS found out I worked and took 1/2 of my check...which is only $600.00 a month as it is.He got a job,worked for three weeks,and decided one fine day to leave.Now, if SS didnt catch up so quick,I would b able 2 pay this mths rent without a hitch,but now I'm in such a predicament that I have gone looking for work,enrolled in college to get a degree to better myself,and now I will b working 2 jobs I guess,+ going to school fuul time. I put myself in this boat,I'm afraid, should have listened to my friends and family telling me he was no good and he was a freeloader and all,but love is blind as usual....and I stayed w/him 3 1/2 yrs and just when he got a job and knew he had to become responsible....he left quick.I should have seen it coming....I was warned time and time again,but I put too much good faith in people and always try 2 believe things will change....and look where it got me now.About 2 b homeless,no SS, not yet hired on a job,about to start school in SEPT.,no car,suspended license....need I go on? I'm in the biggest ditch I could have EVER built for myself.......but I still think it would only be right for him to fork over his share. Why should he be livin good[although I heard hes livin in a tent]but he has money and no worries apparently......while I shoulder the burdens.But,I believe I learned a good lesson hard.The cost of 5 mths rent would b $2500.00...and I'm suing him for 1/2 of that....its only right.Don't you think? Three other people seem to think so..............

BL

You can certainly try and sue him, the most that can happen is lose.

How are you going to tell your landlord you can't pay all the rent ?

I don't know, but if he excepts say 1/2 then tries to evict you he'll have to wait another month, because he excepted money for August rent. He would then have to take you to small claims to recover .

Your boyfriend owes the landlord $400 for a broken door.

Guess who that's going to fall on now that he's not living there ?

Maybe you could rent a room on $300 ? Stay with a Friend ?

If your not still working and receiving SSI or SSDI still notify them and they will increase your ck. again. They should go retroactive from when you were last paid .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">